I'm on the board!

Burro is some of the best meat I've ever tasted...Just sayin'
I wish they would open up a season in AZ. They almost did a few years ago but of course it got shut down.
I hunted Jav with the boys last year and saw wild horses and burro the hole time. I do have a dead head that I found at the river a few years ago. Someday when I get around to it I am going to turn it into a bottle opener euro mount for down there. Crazy how small the boys were they are starting to eat me out of house and home.
16AD0763-9133-410C-88E8-455BEAE37A49.jpeg

Used to know a guy out a Cibola a life time resident (he's been gone for many years now), His name was Louie Bishop, His family settled that area before Wyatt Earp came there after his Tombstone exploits and became their sheriff in that area before moving on (he showed me a deck of cards once that he said Wyatt owned). His family setteled the valley way back when and when I met him back in the early 90''s he was on his death bed but had a walk in cooler that he would let the local hunters hang their deer in for a small fee. I always brought him meat and would stay and listen to his stories. When the feds came in the thirties and forties they took his land as imminent domain and paid him pennies on the dollar for what it was worth to create the Colorado river spillway and Cibola refuge . He was smart enough to lawyer up and dragged them through years of litigation and was able to stay alive and live off his remaining land and litigation as to how the goverment had screwed him. During that time I had the privelidge to visit with him on many occasions. He told me many stories about Wyatt Earp who he knew as a child and how wild game ran in the valley. There were no deer there then and sheep and burros were everywhere. The sheep were dumb (still are) and came to decline because the did not know how to stay out of the way of a bullet and people who needed to eat. The new born burros left by the miners were good eating and became a staple. The young burros were the way to go as far as eats go. He also told me about about how paddle wheel boats used to come up the river from Mexico with most of their supplies because no roads existed then and that there was a species of salmon that used to come up out of Mexico they would harvest. How's that for old history ? His family still has property there.

I wish they would open up a season in AZ. They almost did a few years ago but of course it got shut down.
I hunted Jav with the boys last year and saw wild horses and burro the hole time. I do have a dead head that I found at the river a few years ago. Someday when I get around to it I am going to turn it into a bottle opener euro mount for down there. Crazy how small the boys were they are starting to eat me out of house and home.
View attachment 41929
Fedearally protected will never happen, Just like mustangs. How is it that invasive species like these that have no business here and are destroying the environment and displacing the natural inhabitants gain protection ? Crazy laws for sure... can you say tree hugger?

Used to know a guy out a Cibola a life time resident (he's been gone for many years now), His name was Louie Bishop, His family settled that area before Wyatt Earp came there after his Tombstone exploits and became their sheriff in that area before moving on (he showed me a deck of cards once that he said Wyatt owned). His family setteled the valley way back when and when I met him back in the early 90''s he was on his death bed but had a walk in cooler that he would let the local hunters hang their deer in for a small fee. I always brought him meat and would stay and listen to his stories. When the feds came in the thirties and forties they took his land as imminent domain and paid him pennies on the dollar for what it was worth to create the Colorado river spillway and Cibola refuge . He was smart enough to lawyer up and dragged them through years of litigation and was able to stay alive and live off his remaining land and litigation as to how the goverment had screwed him. During that time I had the privelidge to visit with him on many occasions. He told me many stories about Wyatt Earp who he knew as a child and how wild game ran in the valley. There were no deer there then and sheep and burros were everywhere. The sheep were dumb (still are) and came to decline because the did not know how to stay out of the way of a bullet and people who needed to eat. The new born burros left by the miners were good eating and became a staple. The young burros were the way to go as far as eats go. He also told me about about how paddle wheel boats used to come up the river from Mexico with most of their supplies because no roads existed then and that there was a species of salmon that used to come up out of Mexico they would harvest. How's that for old history ? His family still has property there.
Did Earp sign any of the cards? Definitely have something there if he did.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fedearally protected will never happen, Just like mustangs. How is it that invasive species like these that have no business here and are destroying the environment and displacing the natural inhabitants gain protection ? Crazy laws for sure... can you say tree hugger?
Read a story recently about how the feds were trying to start up a program where ranchers could adopt the wild horses because the herds (bands?) were getting unmanageable. Heard it's not getting much traction. Too bad they can't start up a hunting program for the burros.

Read a story recently about how the feds were trying to start up a program where ranchers could adopt the wild horses because the herds (bands?) were getting unmanageable. Heard it's not getting much traction. Too bad they can't start up a hunting program for the burros.
That program has been around for a very long time with mustangs (since the 60's when federal legislation was passed) some ranchers take advantage of it to breed stock ( I don't know about the donkeys time line but that protection exists as well) , In my opinion it is a unknown as far as what you will end up with. Some ranchers but mostly rescue people used the legislation to stop the euthanization of the overpopulation of the mustangs that would have kept them in check . Some (not many ranchers use it to introduce new blood into their lines.) My family has been in New Mexico since the late 1700's as cattle ranchers and when I used to visit the ranch in my youth they would every once in awhile would bring a mustang stud into spice up their bloodline, They were dangerous and you had to exercise caution in being near them (1200lb animal that does not know what a human is and would stomp you to death if they were afraid)

Used to be before the tree huggers came into play that the overage of wild horse's that were not adopted and were damaging the wildlands as far as habitat goes were being captured and sold off and sent to south America and Europe where the consumption of horse meat is not controversial, But that has changed because of the huggers activisim (forget science). Nevada is a hot spot for the current controversy. Take a look at the USDA's analysis of range conditions there ( the range land is suffering) but also know that beef cattle who have been there for a long time have had a serious effect on that land as well, so the question that begs to be answered is would you rather eat horse or cow as both have affected the land and without more meat production in this part of the world we live in locally we will not be able to sustain ourselves very well.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Would be easy to score a Burro too. Take Hwy 68 out of Laughlin/Bullhead City... right where it finally reaches the top of the pass? Just look around with a good eye in the PM.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu