Introduction and Question

zorkieo

Jun 7, 2020
HI All

I randomly met fellow SCH Outdoor member TruDuct out in the back country of San Diego while doing some scouting and he suggested this forum to me. I Hunt and live in San Diego and have been hunting for around 4 years with some decent success. Since I started hunting here I have heard a lot about hunting Rodriguez Canyon (its even in the official D16 Zone Hunt Info flyer https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=83189&inline). I know its supposed to be full of hunters but it also seems to be 100% on state park land which means hunting is illegal correct? Just something I have always found strange. Anyone know whats up with this discrepancy?
Z

Z,

Welcome to SCH...I always thought that Rodriquez Cyn. was mostly on BLM...I do know that part of it is in Borrego State Park.

Zach,

It was great getting to hike and glass with you yesterday. Welcome to the forum. Lots of great guys on here. Sorry I have no knowledge of that area.

Drew

Onx shows that the south part of Rodriguez Canyon is, anza borrego state park while the north part is anza borrego state wilderness. Is there a difference between the two as far as hunting goes? Curious myself. Sure doesn’t look like BLM though.

I tend to always lean on side of caution and only hunt where onX says is BLM (or etc). Its a lot easier to explain to the sheriff / wardens. I also believe that the wilderness areas are part of the park.

Tons of deer there! Lol

Onx shows that the south part of Rodriguez Canyon is, anza borrego state park while the north part is anza borrego state wilderness. Is there a difference between the two as far as hunting goes? Curious myself. Sure doesn’t look like BLM though.
over in my zone wilderness to us means... no vehicles allowed, walk in only. Hey, the road hunters will stay away from that... might find the buck of a lifetime in there.

Anza Borrego, whether wilderness or not, is state park land and hunting is not allowed. You can't even have a loaded firearm on AB lands. However, there's been some discussion in other threads about passing through state park lands and carrying your firearm unloaded while enroute to BLM or CNF land, but I don't know the ins and outs enough to comment on that.

Reactions: JakeSCH and TRICER
Anza Borrego, whether wilderness or not, is state park land and hunting is not allowed. You can't even have a loaded firearm on AB lands. However, there's been some discussion in other threads about passing through state park lands and carrying your firearm unloaded while enroute to BLM or CNF land, but I don't know the ins and outs enough to comment on that.
Even if you follow the rules they are still going to make your life hell for passing though state park with a firearm. I have heard some horror stories.

Reactions: JakeSCH
I have passed thru BSP about a 1000 times, as have many of you (Hwy 78)...Wilderness areas like mentioned, normally means you can not use any motorized vehicles ( maybe bikes as well)...Most have web pages or are on Google to tell you.

Rodriquez Truck Trail is absolutely in BLM lands...Taking a drive is the best test...And if you're concerned about how many guys hunt it...Talking about it on an open forum won't help much.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu