Inyo jump shooting

IMJ2000

Mar 30, 2015
So me and my son got to go out for our first duck hunt. We managed to get one, a mallard. We saw quite a few but they were either too far away or flying over areas we wouldnt be able to get to. Now for a couple question if someone could help.

First, I saw a pair of birdsfly by that from the pictures ive seen my best guess is they would be either canvasback or redheds. Leaning more toward canvas based on pics I saw, more white on the belly. Question being do either of these ducks fly through that area or am I way off?

Second, any tips for plucking feathers? I didnt get a chance to clean the bird. In fact my wife ended up doing it. I was going to after work but she took the liberty and cleaned it up. She said she saw something abouth using wax, anyone know about this? Or any other pointers?

Last, if you happen to cripple a duck what are your methods for ending things as quickly humanly as possible. Read of a couple methods. Just like to hear any other ideas.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

1. I can't comment with any authority on the regular birds seen in the specific area you were in but both the redhead and the canvasback this time of year can be found all over California.

2. When just starting out, either skin them or pluck them by hand. I would not invest in a wax setup unless you really get into waterfowling. The method is heat parafin wax in a big ass pot. Dunk bird and then dunk into cold water to set the wax, then peel the wax. In my opinion the whole wax thing is a real PITA.

3. I like to use suffocation. I'll hold the bird in the my hands around the chest and squeeze tightly until they die. I've tried the ringing the neck method and some ducks just keep on ticking. Some people bite the heads the crush the skulls, but again, a simple constrictor-like method around the chest cavity works for me.

Welcome to waterfowling and prepare to blow tons of cash

Sounds like fun, good going.
1st question - those ducks are known to fly the Pacific flyway
2nd question - lots of ways to clean, just try searching online. Plucking a duck is tough, glad she took the time to do it and you didn't just breasts it.
3rd - if you can get to it most just wring the neck. You could shoot it's head off, that is what I do when they swim or walk away

sent using the FORCE with a JEDI MIND TRICK

#2 - Divers tend to be harder to pluck. Mallards are as easy as grab a handful and yank. Just watch around entry wounds if you're going to keep the skin on the meat... it'll tear the skin if you pull away from the wound so pull towards the wound. Get the larger feathers off first, the undercoat next, then torch the fine hairs last. If you just go for the breasts without the skin (less cholesterol), just stick your finger/knife below the breast plate and make a small hole. Grab some skin and yank up... it'll expose the breast really easily.

#3 - Water swat it if you can't get close enough to it. If you get ahold of it and don't want to suffocate, crush the head, or use your knife to cut it's head off, put a hand on the shoulders of the bird and grab the head and yank like you're starting your lawn mower. Pop that head off and no pain felt.

# 3- send your dog in after it. Let the cripple fill that prey drive need. If you don't have a dog. Water smack them and get a dog

1. Both cans and redheads come through that valley. Could have been either.

2. I usually just breast all my birds. We have plucked and rotisseried them before which is amazing, but just a lot more work. A simple pot of boiling water works for easy plucking. Dip, pluck some, dip, pluck some more.

3. Shoot them again on the water. If you get back to the blind and duck is still alive twist the neck until it snaps, wack on the shotgun stock, etc. Many options.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help everyone . No dog yet Stikbrandon, still trying to figure which breed would be best for me. But thats a whole other topic of discussion. A dog is definitely on my list though.

IMJ2000 said:
Thanks for the help everyone . No dog yet Stikbrandon, still trying to figure which breed would be best for me. But thats a whole other topic of discussion. A dog is definitely on my list though.

Ask 8steeltown howw much fun NOT having a dog is

IMJ2000 said:

Get a lab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you let the duck age in the frige for a few days they are easier to pluck.

I have dogs so they do the killing for my bad shots. If not it's a stretch of the neck or a good twist. When I'm at the truck a smack on the back of the head/neck area up against the bumper ends it quickly. If no dogs I'd put two shots in every bird and aim for their head just to help stop runners

Take your time looking for a dog breed. Trailer the dog to what you like to hunt and what you have access to hunt......then look at what you can handle at home and in the off season. Hunting dogs take a lot of time in the field with YOU and lots of crap to keep them going so it's a big step for 10+ years.....then that leads to another pup a few years before you retire your first dog......and so on then your stuck for life as a dog guy.

MJB said:
If you let the duck age in the frige for a few days they are easier to pluck.

Side bar: I tried this and if you're breasting out the skin tends to tear the meat when you pull the skin off. Much easier to do it immediately before putting in the fridge/freezer. Just did a mallard and gadwall and both breasts tore meat off when I was pulling the skin off...

stikbrandon said:
IMJ2000 said:

Ask 8steeltown howw much fun NOT having a dog is

True story... I've gotten down in my chones multiple times and swam out to the middle of a lake to retrieve my birds. I've also walked through the water through mud with my hunting boots and hunting clothes before I had my waders. Hunt hard.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu