Is baiting coyotes legal?

Sep 26, 2012
This thread will suck without pics, and I apologize, but I don't have any.

On Saturday, the San Diego Sporting Dog Club, along with a few volunteers from other clubs and friends in the area, had the privilege to provide dogs, handlers, and bird planters for the latest DFG(w) Heritage junior and family pheasant hunts out at the old Daley ranch in Rancho Jamul. They like to use pointers in order to slow the action down for these young/inexperienced hunters, and my dog's a lab, so I went along to plant birds.

So why isn't this thread in the upland section, or dog training section?

When I arrived shortly after 6:30 AM, there was frost on the ground, and the puddles were frozen over. It's a beautiful property, and I wish the DFG would give it to me! Soon, a big pack of coyotes started going nuts on the hillside. I wished I could have pulled the AR out of the truck and gone after them. One of the guys said that years ago, the coyotes had boldly come right down and picked up the pheasants that they had just planted!

We planted a bunch of birds, and then the family hunt commenced. It went pretty well. At around 11:00, we went out and planted the fields again for the junior hunters. As we passed the first field, one of the guys spotted to coyotes in it. We continued on, planted the fields, then went back to the meeting area. After a safety briefing, some of us went out with the teams of hunters, supervisors, dogs, and handlers. Our hunters and their fathers reached the field before we did, and they reported that they had just seen a coyote flush 1 pheasant out of the field, and ran off with another! In fact, we got to watch it and another coyote run to the tree line with it! The hunters were bummed, but we figured there were plenty of birds left. As it turns out, of the four birds that were planted in that field, we only put up one, and the situation didn't offer the boys a shot. But they and the dog and the handler worked hard, going into some adjacent fields, and managed to put up 3 more, taking 1 of them. Throughout the afternoon, we watched those coyotes flush or capture several more pheasants.

It would have be so rewarding to have put the hurt on those things, and I joked with one of the boys' dads, "now son, that's why we shoot coyotes: they're bird killers!".

So is it legal to use pheasants to bait coyotes?

After the hunt ended, they let volunteers and hunters who had not shot their limit go out and clean up the fields. My dog and I worked a field hard, not finding anything. As we drove out, I spotted one by the road, so I parked, grabbed the gun and the dog, and headed after it. As I did so, I heard a crashing sound in the tree behind me. I turned, and saw a 2nd jump to the ground out of the tree! We continued after the first, and quickly shot and retrieved it. As we turned back to get the 2nd, I saw that the group that had hunted with us earlier had also seen it, and they were hurrying toward it. I could have taken it, but hey, it's about the kids, right? It ran into a ditch, and when I sent the dog in after it, it flushed. The boy shot twice, then I shot twice (long shots). We saw where it landed and went after it again. We only had a few minutes left before we had to vacate the property. I released the dog, and he quickly located the bird in a bush, and we heard a squawk. I told the boy to be ready, because either the bird was going to come busting out, or my dog was going to come out with it in his mouth. Well, the dog came out with it, and then we hurried back to the trucks and raced back to the meeting area, just in time to get checked out.

Man, I wish they would let hunters into that preserve. I don't see any reason not to, and there's definitely a coyote infestation in there that needs abatement. I bet if you went out there right now with an e-caller with rooster pheasant sounds, you would have dogs coming in within minutes!

Sorry for the post that's all over the place. It was a fun day.

Yes, kinda

Please see a lawyer and read http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#472
Under non game methods of take. It limits your ability to use bait with dogs but no other limit is set.

Now you had dogs out working so letter of the law says no you can't. A over zealous officer might write you up for hunting coyotes over bait with dogs.

Do all hunting regs hold true on public land with owner's permission (regarding baiting over a trap)? Would children's safety on private land hold more weight towards being allowed to bait on own land? Not trying to thread jack.

Aeon is correct, totally legal in certain zones to hunt coyotes over bait, now San Diego county happens to be in zone 2 and it is legal to use bait without Dogs, also here is a DFG Biologist answering the question http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/2011/05/26/lights-at-night-to-monitor-wildlife-behavior-and-movement/.

not zone specific as to bait....

§475. Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Nongame Mammals.

Nongame birds and nongame mammals may be taken in any manner except as follows:

(a) Poison may not be used.
(b) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.
(c) Fallow deer, sambar deer, axis deer, sika deer, aoudad, mouflon, tahr and feral goats may be taken only with the equipment and ammunition specified in Section 353 of these regulations.
(d) Traps may be used to take nongame birds and nongame mammals only in accordance with the provisions of Section 465.5 of these regulations and sections 3003.1 and 4004 of the Fish and Game Code.
(e) No feed, bait or other material capable of attracting a nongame mammal may be placed or used in conjunction with dogs for the purpose of taking any nongame mammals. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an individual operating in accordance with the provisions of Section 465.5 from using a dog to follow a trap drag and taking the nongame mammal caught in that trap.
(f) Methods of take within the California condor range. Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to use or possess projectiles containing more than one percent lead by weight while taking or attempting to take any nongame birds or nongame mammals in those areas described in Section 3004.5, Fish and Game Code.
(1) For purposes of Section 475, a “projectile” is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot, shot, pellet or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.
(2) Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to possess any projectile containing lead in excess of the amount permitted in subsection 475(f) and a firearm capable of firing the projectile while taking or attempting to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal within the area described in subsection 475(f). The possession of a projectile containing lead in excess of the amount allowed in subsection 475(f) without possessing a firearm capable of firing the projectile is not a violation of this section.

Amendment 5-15-08, effective 7-1-08.

I've read all the regs too... Just have never seen how/if the laws are relevant on your own private property... Do all rules still apply?

Yes all laws apply to private property. You might own the dirt but you do not control or own the wild animals on it. If you look at how the regs are written they typically say something cant be done and then list the exemptions. If there is no verbose exemption listed then its illegal.

how then you might ask does a place like big horn ranch work? Its private property but its high fenced and the mammals on it are live stock. You could shoot every pig and goat on that place in one day if you wanted to write the check. but lets say you want to shoot dove on big horn ranch, You would need to follow the regs.

Gotcha. Saves me from a potential SSS situation. Thanks.

So if I take my son could I Hunt that ranch with the kid on a coyote hunt. We won't miss lol just saying I could run a few out of there for you

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu