Is Gore Tex a must?

smokindice

Dec 6, 2018
I am a few years into hunting, and up until this turkey season my regular hiking boots had done just fine. While looking for turkeys this spring I moved through the back country in the early morning to find that the dew on the overgrowth soaked my boots in minutes. It was a squishy day.

Next time I went out I wore my all weather snow boots, it rained that day but my boots still got soggy despite being "all weather". I had to ring my socks out when I got back to the car.

Needless to say it's time for an upgrade and while shopping around my budget would be mid tier shoes and I really like the IrishSetter Men's 2870 Vaprtrek Waterproof 8" Hunting Boot On Amazon

These claim to be waterproof, but they do not have gore Tex which makes me nervous. Can anyone vouch for these boots or waterproof shoes that don't have gore Tex?

Any other recommendations in this price range?

Thanks all!

I destroyed 2 pairs of Irish setters in 2 seasons. Both of them burst at seams. I weat Schnees but they are not in your price range.

I would reccomend getting the cabelas all leather hunting boots. They hold up well and are proven.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokindice
I destroyed 2 pairs of Irish setters in 2 seasons. Both of them burst at seams. I where Schnees but they are not in your price range.

I would reccomend getting the cabelas all leather hunting boots. They hold up well and are proven.
Great advice, glad I asked. Would hate to invest in some decent boots to have them fall apart. I will look into the Cabelas boots, surprised I didn't think to look at their shoes sooner.

Yes gore tex is 100% mandatory... look for the label and have dry feet.

gators are needed at times to keep water from going in over the top

I destroyed 2 pairs of Irish setters in 2 seasons. Both of them burst at seams. I weat Schnees but they are not in your price range.

X2 on the cabelas just got a pair and have worn them a couple times and I am pretty happy with them so far will see how they do on my first hunt this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too use Cabela's Gore-Tex boots.....Going on 5 seasons and they're still dry....I do use Mink Oil/grease. on them....Got a seam that has started to separate....Shoe Goo'd it and it was good to go this wet spring.

Whatever you do don’t buy insulated boots. I wear uninsulated boots down in the 20s. If you do any kind of hiking you will hate insulated boots in our region.

+1 on this....Actually it's good to have 2 or 3 pairs of boots for different situations....;)

I have some low waterproof hiking boots for hiking and everyday use. I have an old pair of mid height hiking boots, and winter snow boots that apparently are not waterproof at all lol. So if I am going somewhere dry looking to get some upland birds I should be good, now I need some heavy duty truly waterproof boots for the back country, namely to pursue some public land hogs or for turkey hunting again. Wild pig is next on my list to plan a hunt for.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Speaking of insulation, I don't see any ALL leather Cabela's that don't have some insulation, most have 400grams or more. The boots with leather and some nylon typically come insulated. I have heard others complain about those that are not ALL leather as the start to fall apart faster.

What are your experiences?

I used to use nothing but Rocky Stalkers, uninstalled....Best chukar boots I ever owned....They have been discontinued....Moved to Danner Pronghorns....Great boot, but then they changed them....Never fit right.

Rocky Pro Hunter's seem to be pretty much the same boot with 400 g....The 400 probably makes little difference.

I wear Irish setters, my son wears Readhead.
We spray our boots with a Cabellas sealer every other time we go out. Mostly when we expect to go though wet lands or creeks. So far ao good after two years. We have not experienced any type of break downs yet.
Now, if i forget to spray them and go through wet grass, then my feet get moist and with the cold mornings in spring and fall my feet hurt.
I use thick thermal long socks, may be I need to wear two pairs.

I used to use nothing but Rocky Stalkers, uninstalled....Best chukar boots I ever owned....They have been discontinued....Moved to Danner Pronghorns....Great boot, but then they changed them....Never fit right.

Rocky Pro Hunter's seem to be pretty much the same boot with 400 g....The 400 probably makes little difference.
What did you not like about the pronghorn fit? I have been looking at the all leather version and might spending a bit more considering the reputation the boots carry, but if you had an issue with the fit I am curious what bothered you about it.

Thanks!

What did you not like about the pronghorn fit? I have been looking at the all leather version and might spending a bit more considering the reputation the boots carry, but if you had an issue with the fit I am curious what bothered you about it.

Thanks!

Can't really tell you....Just didn't feel right....The design was totally different from the old Pronghorns....Made in, I think China.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu