Is public water open to hunting?

mnCountryBoy

Dec 11, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm new to California and what seems to be an intentionally cryptic DFW. So I was wondering if anyone here could help me figure out if public waters, like Salton Sea, are open to hunting from a boat if you can access the water. Back home if there is a public boat launch and it's not within city limits you can hunt it, but we don't have as tight of restrictions regarding hunting and firearms. I just can't find anything on the internet regarding the laws about this in California. Thanks for the help!

What you have to watch out for are city limits, ownership/management of the body of water, and wildlife refuges.

San Diego Bay is probably considered within the city limits, and it contains wildlife refuges. Mission Bay is probably within city limits as well.
Otay Lake is owned by a water district, and used to allow hunting, but not any longer.
Barret and Sutherland are also owned by water districts, and they do allow hunting.
Loveland and Sweetwater are owned by the Sweetwater Authority, and allow fishing in small portions of the lakes, but not hunting. I've seen pictures of Babe Ruth hunting Sweetwater back in the day, and I can tell you that ducks and geese use it every year. Can't hunt it though.
Salton Sea is open to hunting EXCEPT within the boundaries of the Sonny Bono Wildlife Refuge. There are maps, but knowing where that actual boundary is would be difficult or impossible. I think most guys that hunt the sea just do their best using the maps they have.
I think if you have an AZ hunting license, you can hunt the Colorado River just about anywhere that it doesn't go thru city limits.

Others can correct me where I'm wrong.

John Sheeeeeeeee! Keep the shaw on the down low ;D Unfortunately Sutherland is now closed due to the low hunter numbers and I have heard rumors that the city may stop hunting Barrett soon.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu