ISO - compound bow

JasonK

Feb 15, 2018
Hi all,

I am in search of an adult compound starter bow. I am a new hunter living in Orange County and would like to find a used bow that can still shoot and get me kickstarted into bow hunting.

Thanks in advance.
Jason

Jason,

There's a little bit more involved than just buying an adult bow...Draw length, poundage are two things that are different to each person...Also, buying one from Craig's list from someone you don't know or (or trust) can be dangerous. One of the boys was "given" a used bow...It literally blew up after a few shots.

I would suggest going to a bow shop and see what they have or suggest (Willow Creek here in North San Diego Co.)...Or save your money and get a mid grade bow new...Remember, the cost of the bow is just the start.

I went the route of a used bow but after getting it setup and tuned I was pretty much back at new bow price where they would of tuned and set it up for me for free if I would of bought the bow from the bow shop. I did come out a little ahead from the upgraded accessories the previous owner had already installed on it. Unlike a firearm bows are made and setup to each indivudial shooter, two guys with the exact same bow could not swap and shoot accurately so it will need to be setup before you can start shooting it, correctly anyway.

Reactions: JasonK
those 2020 bows look mighty nice. you may just help me upgrade. how much are you looking to spend?

I live in OC and I see some on Bass Pro that are ready to hunt between $200 - $250. Your setup is probably much more expensive but I am not looking to break the bank.

Jason,

There's a little bit more involved than just buying an adult bow...Draw length, poundage are two things that are different to each person...Also, buying one from Craig's list from someone you don't know or (or trust) can be dangerous. One of the boys was "given" a used bow...It literally blew up after a few shots.

I would suggest going to a bow shop and see what they have or suggest (Willow Creek here in North San Diego Co.)...Or save your money and get a mid grade bow new...Remember, the cost of the bow is just the start.

I hear you and I've heard those stories too. I was planning on taking whatever I could get and taking it to a bow shop before shooting it so no one gets hurt... or at least me...

Hi all,

I am in search of an adult compound starter bow. I am a new hunter living in Orange County and would like to find a used bow that can still shoot and get me kickstarted into bow hunting.

Thanks in advance.
Jason
First off, heed Steve's advice. Buying a used bow is tough since, as he mentioned, you have no idea if the thing will blow up in your face, let alone be fitted for you correctly. Downside are new bows will be above that $200 range and depreciate quickly after purchase.

If you're set on going down this route, first go to a bow shop like the Bow N Arrow Shop down here in Lakeside to at least measure your draw length and check out some new bows to see what feels good to you. Then see what used ones you can find that look well maintained and fit you. If you choose to gamble and buy one, take it into a shop for inspection and adjustment before firing. Buy you may soon realize you wish you saved up a bit more $$ to buy a quality bow if you end up liking archery instead of dropping $200 on crap.

Take all the above advise. You need an very experienced bowhunter/archer to get you started. Otherwise you will be spending more money than necessary. My advise is go to the shops mentioned above and ask if they can get you started with a used bow. Maybe call first and find out what day and time would be the best so you can ask lot's of questions.

Take all the above advise. You need an very experienced bowhunter/archer to get you started. Otherwise you will be spending more money than necessary. My advise is go to the shops mentioned above and ask if they can get you started with a used bow. Maybe call first and find out what day and time would be the best so you can ask lot's of questions.

Great suggestion. Many archery shops sell used bows.

And/or get a mentor so you can figure out exactly what you want and your specs. Then you can successfully buy great bows on some forums, Archery Talk is a good place to start. Those forums have well known sellers who are selling used bows and those guys LIVE archery. You will have harder luck finding that locally through Craigslist or something similar.

As many others have said you will probably save money in the long run just going to an archery shop now. Even if you don't buy from them that day, go for the knowledge and expertise.

Thank you all for your advise. Someone offered me a bow for free that is ready to hunt. I am going to take it to a bow shop near me (Hi-Tech Archery in Fullerton) and make sure it checks out and get it tuned up if necessary. If it works I'll stick with that. If not I'll just save up some money and buy new.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu