Jacket recommendations?

Drewski2324

Sep 26, 2013
Ventura County by way of Idaho
Hey guys I am in the market for a light weight (heat retention not necessarily lbs or oz) hunting jacket. I want something in between my heavy cold weather coat and a hoodie.

Not looking for a rain coat but water resistant would be nice.

I know you guys are better than a Cabelas review.

What are your recommendations? Ready go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great question Drewski. I will be interested in opinions on this thread too. I use layers, so have been shopping for a lightweight rainproof outer shell. Settled on Sitka Stormfront jacket and pants. I use their Ascent pants all the time. Rugged and very comfortable, I add a long underwear layer when it's colder. But Sitka gear is pricey so I'm saving up.

What kind of temps do you expect to encounter? Will you be sitting or moving?

I recently bought the Sitka 90% jacket. Had a chance to use it from high 20's to mid 60's. With temps in the high 20's in the morning I needed another layer while standing around before we started hiking. Once we started hiking it was fine and I didn't want another layer. In fact I was unzipping the jacket and opening up the pit zips.

The 90% is probably equal in heat to a hoodie but lighter. The advantage is the 90% will cut the wind where any wind will make the hoodie useless.

If I we're pick a range I would say between 30 and 60 degrees. I rarely sit still. But because of how thick it is where I hunt I have been sitting more.
I like the thought of the Sitka but my wallet doesn't!
What is the cost of the 90%? Storm front?

Depending on store and specials, about $250-290 for each. I'm trying to get a lower price through some connections.

Wow looks like I need to refinance the house! For you guys who own a Sitka.... Are they worth it? I am a guy that loves high quality but usually buys mid range. Although I did just get an Eberlestock pack. So expensive but worth it.

Buy once cry once.......I have pants and shirts from the first year and it's still good as new......I look at it as gear not clothing

One thing the clothes fit different and the sizes run small.......

Drewski2324 said:
That is what is a bummer about living in Ventura. No one close has any quality hunting gear. I would love to try this stuff on before I buy it.
Amen to that: hard to shop for clothes online and I often send stuff back or exchange till I find something worth keeping. Painful, but it's one reason to find a company you like and stick with it. How far are you from Taft? Garrett loves Kuiu stuff and had a bunch of clothing that he was trying awhile back. Just an idea.

Yeah kuiu is awesome. I haven't got a round to getting any of the jackets yet, but my cousin has some. They are super nice, and I will have some for next season for sure

I use the Scent Lok Mirage line for a light weight gear during arch season it's a nice in between jacket
[youtube]Scent-Lok Mirage Product Spot: http://youtu.be/UbhU13BA7wI[/youtube]

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu