Jackrabbit with gravy

8SteelTown

Took my jackrabbit from Saturday and brined it in water for a little and then buttermilk and onion for 2 days. Browned in butter and set the meat in a baking dish. Leftover sauce got spiced with horseradish, cinnamon, and nutmeg and topped. 1/2 cup of water in the baking dish, covered, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour. Took that sauce and mixed in a rue to make the gravy. It was still a little tough on the outside (expected that due to short cook span) but the meat inside was moist and delicious. Easy recipe and will try again.

Heck,

I thought you were going to say you go thru all that process and then you throw away the jack & eat the sauce...... :D

ilovesprig said:
Heck,

I thought you were going to say you go thru all that process and the you throw away the jack & eat the sauce...... :D

Haha waste not my friend. The sauce was the shining star though! I'll keep trying recipes till I get it as perfect as Jack can get!

My dogs are drooling........looks good just don't tell me it's a jack and I'd try it.....you guys are rare indeed!

Ugh! I tried one a few seasons ago thing was terrible. It looks good though. I dont think i will ever eat one again.

Thanks fellas. Figure they're a dime a dozen so might as well get some "out of season" practice in with stalking and what not. I'm going to figure out a recipe that isn't a stew that tastes really good. Stew just ain't my thing. My first attempt at Jack, making fajitas was pretty damn good. Bet I'd have fooled a lot of people with that one.

And yes, if you don't brine it, cook it low and slow, and smother it in some sort of sauce, it can be a little funky. Otherwise, it has the taste of dark meat turkey and the consistancy of over cooked tritip (probably a little worse) lol.

I am also the guy who doesn't mind eating diver ducks and have been known to eat grilled coot (won't be doing that anymore though).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu