Jacks

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
Looking to chase some jack rabbits over in el centro with my new bow. Ive heard a mix review on this, but are jack rabbit ok to eat?

Looking to chase some jack rabbits over in el centro with my new bow. Ive heard a mix review on this, but are jack rabbit ok to eat?

I'm one of the few on here (or anywhere) that loves eating jackrabbit, but I'll offer a disclaimer first... remember they're technically hares, not rabbits (i.e. cottontails) so their meat is dark red, very gamey, and much tougher than the latter. That said, you can't just fry or grill them like cottontails and expect to have good eating... you'll need to braise them low and slow. Check out Hank Shaw's website; he has lots of good recipes for "hare." A good starter recipe is a classic Italian ragu I make that goes great over pasta, but they're also great in chili, stew, curry, or any other well spiced slow cooked dishes. The ragu is easy... 1 whole jack, 1 big can (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes, 1 can tomato paste, onion/garlic/carrot/herbs, and red wine. Brown the meat first, then add your tomato paste and red wine, then the rest to cover... cook down for at least 2, maybe 3 hours, then shred the meat off the bones and add back to the pot. My wife and kids love it, and that says something since they were wary at first to eat such an ugly animal like the mighty jack.

Yes, Jack is good. I use a salt and vinegar brine to tenderize and cut the gaminess for a couple hours, then make up your favorite marinade for over night. I sear then use some of the marinade for braising low and slow (45 min.) Tastes like rabbit not chicken, but not tough or gamy. My French buddy liked it better than cotton, more flavor.

I'm new to hunting, haven't been out yet, still doing research, target practice and reading posts here. I have a question, I've heard they are full of parasites, so when you kill one do you have to skin it right away or how do you keep them pests from getting all over you?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I'm new to hunting, haven't been out yet, still doing research, target practice and reading posts here. I have a question, I've heard they are full of parasites, so when you kill one do you have to skin it right away or how do you keep them pests from getting all over you?
Welcome Jred
It's usually best to start a new post.
But this question is asked a lot.
Mainly some rabbits are infected
with tularemia (rabbit fever)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia
Use precautions when cleaning.
Some debone the rabbit.
Make sure it looks healthy.
If it's infected don't touch it.
I have only seen two infected rabbits.
If you gut it look at the liver.
It must be healthy.
Even healthy rabbits
Just like pork cook it well.

No need to skin right away.. they usually sit in the back of my game vest until I'm done hunting. I'll have some fleas and ticks left in my bag but no big deal. Tularemia is a real threat but is very rare. For that reason they recommend using gloves to handle rabbits but I never do. Botfly larvae sometimes show up under the skin and are nasty finds, but are completely harmless. I've shot a ton of cottontails and jacks and only once I tossed it because of an odd colored liver. They're healthier animals than the interwebs make it seem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

depending on the weather i usually gut it and let it cool in my pouch, the first thing i look as is for bot and then i inpect the liver. i use gloves and disinfect after im done. if its hotter, ill called a collapsible lunch pouch with some freezer bags inside. i quarter in sir-and wrap the meat and but it in the ice bags.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Yes forgot to add. I carry a small trash bag. I keep the rabbits in it and in my bird vest to contain the fleas before I skin them
The fleas carry many infectious diseases. May want to keep the rabbit pelts.
Fresh rabbit stew is awesome.
haha yea i learned that the hard way, i sometimes keep the belt for fly tying and the first time around i had fleas everywhere haha

Thank you all so much for your answers. I was watching a Meateater episode last night, they were hunting grouse I think and Steve shoots a jack, after a few minutes the other hunter tells him that he's got fleas all over the back of his vest.

Yes up in the higher elevation there are no flea's. And almost no
Ticks. Lot's of Jack's and cottontail.
I don't go to halenbeck or San Felipe wild life areas.
At San Felipe I was infested with ticks in the sage brush at the base of the mountains.

Reactions: Sdhunt17

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu