Javelin vs Magpul Bipod

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Looking to add a bipod to my hunting system. I currently use my pack if prone or trekking poles if in a seated position...and it has worked well but there is some added benefits of a bipod.

Right now I am basically torn between the Magpul Bipod ($130) and the Javelin Long Bipod ($240). The Javelin is half the weight and has the option to keep it in my pocket (no added weight if a freehand shot is required).

I am really looking for insight on the Javelin bipod and if it is worth the extra $$? Does anyone running a bipod wish they could remove / re-attach in a pinch?

I don’t have one but I buying a Spartan this week.

Nice! Let me know how you like it. I started to write off the spartan because I wasn't sure if the folding feature was worth 2x the price...but maybe I will just need to buy once and cry once...at least it easily will go between multiple rifles as well.

I’m going with the Spartan bipod as well. I don’t want a bipod attached to my rifle all the time, but there are some obvious advantages to having one handy. At 5 oz it’s a no brainer to me.

Reactions: JakeSCH
@Kellendv and @Truduct are you guys going with the standard or long? Long seems to have a more useful range at only 1" longer than the standard.

Those spartans do look pretty sweet... I've been eyeing one for a while. Think I might take the plunge.

Unless having wide feet on it is an imperative, I don't see why you wouldn't wanna check out those Kwik Stix! They weight like nothing, they're pretty quiet to deploy. Basically just shock-corded Tent-Poles tied together at a Pivot point up top that has nice rubber halves of the "V" notch bound together. I've used it for .17 HMR sniping of Ground Squirrels all day. But if you're terrain finds you on a side-hill sloped experience, the Trigger Stick Short Tripod gives this very reassuring extra bit of security so you know your rifle won't slip and fall down off it if you leave it resting in the "V" Yoke.

Unless having wide feet on it is an imperative, I don't see why you wouldn't wanna check out those Kwik Stix! They weight like nothing, they're pretty quiet to deploy. Basically just shock-corded Tent-Poles tied together at a Pivot point up top that has nice rubber halves of the "V" notch bound together. I've used it for .17 HMR sniping of Ground Squirrels all day. But if you're terrain finds you on a side-hill sloped experience, the Trigger Stick Short Tripod gives this very reassuring extra bit of security so you know your rifle won't slip and fall down off it if you leave it resting in the "V" Yoke.
You’re referring to shooting sticks, which are for sitting, kneeling, or standing. I have shooting sticks that I have killed a lot of deer off of. We are talking about bipods for shooting in the prone position.

Ah I see. Meh, prone not really of much benefit in the terrains types I've been in. So that makes sense.

Following up on this. I bought the javelin hunt pro, really liking it so far.

now I just need to mount my scope and wait until May to take it out.

61B042C5-16DE-496E-A75D-0D0EA1332482.jpeg

Still waiting for some feedback on how well they work.

They are light, the cool guys on SCH have ordered or bought. Ok so far so good.

Who has set out some targets, loaded up the bipod and shot with them?

How well do they lock out etc.

I purchased the Javelin Long about a year ago soon after I bought my first hunting rifle (Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed, 30-06). I am new to hunting, so my comments probably do not add much value. But, for what it's worth, my decision to purchase the Javelin boiled down to the design features (light weight, easily detachable, and quiet) combined with the good reviews. I figured the lightweight design would complement my relatively light weight hunting rifle nicely. I also really liked the fact that you could just leave the bipod in your pocket and quickly and quietly install it only when needed. It is the only bipod I have ever used, so I clearly can't provide any objective comparisons with other bipod designs. I used this setup successfully on my first ever hunt (Antelope in Wyoming) last fall. My personal preference is to use the bipod in "pan" (or traverse) mode. When I first started target shooting with the rifle, I attempted to use the "locked" mode thinking it might offer better lateral stability. However, since the bipod mount is simply threaded into the relatively soft composite stock of the rifle (using the forward sling mount), I found that it wasn't really all that effective at preventing unintended panning ... the threaded insert would just twist slightly allowing some small amount of pan motion even when in "locked" mode. Ever since then, I have installed the bipod in pan mode just to prevent applying unintentional torque to the attachment screw. Personally, I have found that I like the added range of motion associated with the pan mode regardless. However, as a new hunter (and new shooter in general), I am not attempting to use the bipod in situations that require a shot of more than a couple hundred yards. A more experienced hunter or target shooter taking longer distance shots may have a completely different opinion. Overall, I am very happy with the bipod. It is a simple design that seems to be a little less "clunky" when compared with other more traditional bipod designs. It is certainly an expensive option, and I suppose it could be lost relatively easily if you get careless about where you store it (packing it around permanently attached to the rifle is not an option). If you are into shaving off ounces of your hunting equipment for your back country hunts, or if you want a bipod that quickly and quietly disconnects/reconnects so you are not always packing it around on your rifle, then I would recommend it. Perhaps my opinion will change as I gain more experience ... only time will tell. You may want to wait for opinions from some of the more experienced forum members.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu