Jig strike sinks

What they are saying now is they hit something and put a big hole in the hull.
This is what the Capt. said on Instagram. They hit something under the surface and it caved in the bow. My dad has been a Capt. on fishing boats for years. I asked him about this and he said he's seen shipping containers, telephone poles, logs, etc. any of which could sink a boat the size of Jig Strike

Reactions: bigfishnfreak
A coworker used to be a sport boat captain. On his first solo overnight trip he hit a whale just a couple miles out of the harbor and had to turn around. Bummer wonder if they will ever know what they hit.

The boat jig strike went down at the Cortez bank , 17 passengers were rescued by another sport boat in the area.
Thank God everyone is safe.

Tight lines
Wow, really scary stuff. Have seen Jig Strike many times offshore. My wife and I were on our boat on the inside of San Clemente Island Monday heading north. If I recall correctly, the Coast Guard put out a couple of broadcasts of a partially submerged boat west of SCI. Maybe that was the remanence of Jig Strike.

Thanks for posting. Can’t believe this was the first of hearing about it sinking.

I work with two guys that were on that trip. Said the boat went down quickly and crew acted fast. Luckily other boats were in the area and it was day time.

Reactions: YETI and ilovesprig
I work with two guys that were on that trip. Said the boat went down quickly and crew acted fast. Luckily other boats were in the area and it was day time.
I can't imagine how bad that might have been if it had happened at night when people were in their racks

Glad everyone got out alive. So much debris out there…. I hope it isn’t learned that someone was drunk or fell asleep.

It is remotely possible that the boat actually ran aground on Cortes Bank. It comes up very close to the surface. "...The shallowest peak, the Bishop Rock, rises to between 3 and 6 feet (0.9 and 1.8 m) from the surface, depending on the tides."
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortes_Bank )
Interesting. I know surfers go out there. Never heard of a boat hitting the top of the bank.

Their coordinates at impact or at least when Mayday went out should show if they were on top of Bishop Rock or another peak. At least I would think.

I was also at the Cortez Bank on the Ranger 85, along with a bunch of other fishing boats, when this happened. The story over the radio was that they were at anchor like everyone else. Can't imagine what those guys went through as it was happening! Somehow, by the time we got back Monday morning, the news was that they were underway and hit something. I talked to someone later that day that said they were going to try to raise the boat for insurance purposes.

Reactions: YETI

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu