John...I joined the group!

White Smoke

Black powder rules!
May 2, 2011
Encinitas, CA
While down in Texas on an Axis hunt, I talked quite a bit with blkpowder hunter, aka Dan, about his antelope hunt. He was using Hammer Hunters and his description of the lungs of an antelope he shot convinced me I should try them. NBK has been on my case as well and I finally pulled the trigger. I have a Ruger American 308 and have a very good load using 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullets that once put three bullets in the same ragged hole at 200 yards. That said, I needed a light 308 load. Dan convinced me to try the 124-grain Hammer Hunters.

I worked up a ladder using 46 to 50 grains of Varget. At first, I shot three rounds each at one-grain increments. That ladder gave me a 46.0-grain load that measured 3/8". Since the 46.0-grain load was at the bottom of the food chain, I made up two more loads of three rounds each at 45.8 and 46.2, just to confirm the 46.0 group I got earlier and also just to see what would happen on either side of that group. The 45.8 load had two bullets touching and a flyer about an inch away, The 46.2 load was a perfect cloverleaf that measured 1/4" and chronographed at an even 3,000 f/s.

John and Dan, you were right all along. I am now a true believer!

308 target.jpg

Nice! Been meaning to load these up for my 308 as well. I need to do a lot of reloading, haven't done much in the last 6 months.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
PS...My rifle is a stock Ruger American. The only thing I did to it was to file off a little of the stock on the left side where it was touching the barrel. It is now fully free-floating. Don't let anyone tell you that inexpensive rifles won't shoot well. My son has one too, and it shoots just as good.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
PS...My rifle is a stock Ruger American. The only thing I did to it was to file off a little of the stock on the left side where it was touching the barrel. It is now fully free-floating. Don't let anyone tell you that inexpensive rifles won't shoot well. My son has one too, and it shoots just as good.

I love mine, 6.5 CM.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Been using Hammers for a while now since we have to use copper. Sold and then some. The best thing about Hammer is you can just call them. I owe Steve a beer anywhos.

Reactions: NBK and TRICER
While down in Texas on an Axis hunt, I talked quite a bit with blkpowder hunter, aka Dan, about his antelope hunt. He was using Hammer Hunters and his description of the lungs of an antelope he shot convinced me I should try them. NBK has been on my case as well and I finally pulled the trigger. I have a Ruger American 308 and have a very good load using 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullets that once put three bullets in the same ragged hole at 200 yards. That said, I needed a light 308 load. Dan convinced me to try the 124-grain Hammer Hunters.

I worked up a ladder using 46 to 50 grains of Varget. At first, I shot three rounds each at one-grain increments. That ladder gave me a 46.0-grain load that measured 3/8". Since the 46.0-grain load was at the bottom of the food chain, I made up two more loads of three rounds each at 45.8 and 46.2, just to confirm the 46.0 group I got earlier and also just to see what would happen on either side of that group. The 45.8 load had two bullets touching and a flyer about an inch away, The 46.2 load was a perfect cloverleaf that measured 1/4" and chronographed at an even 3,000 f/s.

John and Dan, you were right all along. I am now a true believer!

View attachment 54221
Great shooting and thank you for all the help you've given me, working on trying to hit the .25 group.

Reactions: NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu