Jumpin

8SteelTown

Got out this morning with StikBrandon for a little jump action. His pup was getting the birds moving. Got this cinny. Now my waterfowl experience is a teal, 3 coots, and a cinnamon. Stoked! Thanks for cruising Stik.
image-4.jpg

Either that is a really bad picture of a cinnamon... or you got yourself a ruddy right there.

Congrats , but that is not a cinnamon............Ruddy duck (diver).............I think it's time to buy a duck ID book.........Could be costly , if you don't.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. It'll be tasty regardless. Going to eat the coots this week (some ugly feet on them birds). I have the identification book and app. I was shooting from shore and this dude was a little ways away and walked over and grabbed it and brought it to me. Said it was a cinnamon so I didn't think to double check it. It was diving for sure. Still stoked.

Canvasback hens are a diver as well......And although they're larger. They have the dull finish as well......Shooting two of them could be very costly.......I think I'd be double checking before carrying them around....... ;)

Just trying to save you some trouble & cash.

It's all about watching how they fly, they have a rhythm and motion and most times that alone can tell you what they are. You will make mistakes as you shoot more. Do your best to Id them, learn from it. Spend time at the park watching the ducks. Best place in so cal to watch ducks is the Newport back Bay. Tons of migratory birds that behave like wild ducks.

Ps hope your dental insurance is paid up, you might need it :)

Not a prob 8steel! Had a blast !!!! Anytime I can get the dog on birds is a good day!!!!

Dam guy that was there, made me hesitate on them geese!!!!!

There is something rewarding about nailing a waterfowl no matter what type. Keep adding to that list. As for the coots... anything wrapped in enough bacon tastes good.

Lol I bet you shot it in the air. Congrats on the ruddy. Cinns have blue shoulders.

Sdbirds said:
Lol I bet you shot it in the air. Congrats on the ruddy. Cinns have blue shoulders.

I did homeboy... he was at least 2-3 inches off the water at the time ;)

8SteelTown said:
Sdbirds said:

I did homeboy... he was at least 2-3 inches off the water at the time ;)

Good shot regardless one more duck species down

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu