Kayak for fishing and duck hunting?

SurfNHuntSD

I'll preface this by saying I know nothing about kayaks, other than that I can't afford a Hobie Mirage Drive... but this year I'd like to invest in a 'yak that can do it all -- fish/dive the kelp beds, hunt the sea AND be reasonably priced ($1K). Any suggestions (besides "get a boat")? Ideally it'd be about 14', with a live well and enough storage for fishing gear or decoys, etc. Just wondering if anyone has a budget minded yak that's worked for them.

I'll preface this by saying I know nothing about kayaks, other than that I can't afford a Hobie Mirage Drive... but this year I'd like to invest in a 'yak that can do it all -- fish/dive the kelp beds, hunt the sea AND be reasonably priced ($1K). Any suggestions (besides "get a boat")? Ideally it'd be about 14', with a live well and enough storage for fishing gear or decoys, etc. Just wondering if anyone has a budget minded yak that's worked for them.

Wilderness Systems Ride 135 is what I use. Have not duck hunted out of it yet but I have fished quite a bit out of it and it has lot's of room to hold tackle, decoy's etc.. They are around $1045 with the low seat and $1350 with new adjustable seat.

Read reviews. Find a kayak that's easy to paddle. And buy a nice paddle. A lot of guys don't see the point in buying an expensive paddle thinking that the cheap ones are the same but they aren't.

I love my hobie outback. If your price range is around 1000$ check Craigslist and big waters edge forum. If you look around enough you can get a nice hobie for that price. You won't regret getting a hobie either.

Read reviews. Find a kayak that's easy to paddle. And buy a nice paddle. A lot of guys don't see the point in buying an expensive paddle thinking that the cheap ones are the same but they aren't.

I love my hobie outback. If your price range is around 1000$ check Craigslist and big waters edge forum. If you look around enough you can get a nice hobie for that price. You won't regret getting a hobie either.
Thanks for the input. Do u see any issues with the Hobie Mirage Drive getting stuck in the mud while duck hunting?

Thanks for the input. Do u see any issues with the Hobie Mirage Drive getting stuck in the mud while duck hunting?

Well I haven't used mine for duck hunting yet so I don't have first hand info. But if the water is shallow enough to where the mirage drive would hit the bottom then yes it would be an issue.

In my kayak if it's that shallow, like when I'm launching, I use my paddle then put my mirage drive in once I'm in 2-3 foot of water or deeper.

Another thing you can do is go to OEX sunset beach or mission bay and test out any kayaks you want to buy.

I have the mirage tandem and love it. I fish, hunt, hoopnet, and take the family for a ride in it.
Homemade live well out of a dog food container. Fish finder, turbo fins, put some pvc around it and zip tied in some die cut camo fabric. Basically a coffin blind. Told the wife I should sell it and see, we have a new baby coming!

I have the mirage tandem and love it. I fish, hunt, hoopnet, and take the family for a ride in it.
Homemade live well out of a dog food container. Fish finder, turbo fins, put some pvc around it and zip tied in some die cut camo fabric. Basically a coffin blind. Told the wife I should sell it and see, we have a new baby coming!
Sounds like quite the rig.. I definitely need to convince the wife I need one now.

I have hunted out of a 10' yak on rivers in maryland and it has been difficult, especially being limited with the amount of decoys we could bring. After looking at that mirage you guys are talking about, wow what a yak! I'm curious though why do you want a yak instead of a boat?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Same question, would a flat bottom Jon boat be good. I had one once, it was easy to lunch from a pick up truck. I like to hear pros and cons.

I have hunted out of a 10' yak on rivers in maryland and it has been difficult, especially being limited with the amount of decoys we could bring. After looking at that mirage you guys are talking about, wow what a yak! I'm curious though why do you want a yak instead of a boat?

Yea those Mirage yaks are awesome, but a bit out of my price range. As for the boat.. I didn't really grow up around boats so I don't know what I'm getting into. I'd love a little jon boat for fishing the bay or duck hunting but not sure how well it'd hold up at the kelp beds with even minimal swell. Just thought of a yak since I'm comfortable around canoes, surfboards, etc., and I can load them easily in my truck. But believe me, if I can find somewhere to park it I'd be interested in a little jon boat...

Well a Jon boat in the kelp would be no go. I was thinking more for fresh water fishing and hunting. For the kelp it would have to be semi v bottom with minimal 20 horse. I seen a lot of guys out there yaks. But you better in well physical shape. The afternoon current can be tough.

Bare with me. i am new to all of it. so my question is what can i hunt with my ar 15 & what is my effective range?

Yea those Mirage yaks are awesome, but a bit out of my price range. As for the boat.. I didn't really grow up around boats so I don't know what I'm getting into. I'd love a little jon boat for fishing the bay or duck hunting but not sure how well it'd hold up at the kelp beds with even minimal swell. Just thought of a yak since I'm comfortable around canoes, surfboards, etc., and I can load them easily in my truck. But believe me, if I can find somewhere to park it I'd be interested in a little jon boat...
I'm not familiar with kelp beds but I did grow up with lakes filled with weeds and it was a pain in the ass having to untangle the propeller.

I have been in 3 ft white caps on the Chesapeake bay in a 16' War Eagle and it did make my asshole pucker lol, I couldn't imagine that in a yak. I'm not sure how big of swells guys go in with yaks out here so I cannot relate to that.

I've been in some pretty heavy rollers before in the mouth of the harbor at Oceanside, somewhere in the area of 5-7ft, still didn't lose my bearing. JoshS, if there are white caps you aren't going anywhere but where the winds want you to if you are on a kayak. The benefit to the two person kayak is it would keep you nose down and the front person can pedal and use kayak paddle, while you steer and pedal in the rear seat.
I'm sure SD bay gets white caps sometimes but not that often and most wouldn't be fishing anyway in that stuff, it's not like we're drifting for walleye. I'd still do the mirage tandem anyday, I'd even one up that and go for the proangler!
I bugged my wife about it one year and she said "you come back from this deployment and you can get one", well I did that deployment and almost didn't make it back from the next so I took her up on it and bought my tandem!
Here are the pluses for a mirage.
1) you can put it on your truck yourself, also fits in the back of a truck.
2) Hobie drives, period!
3) You can only take one person with you, so make sure it's one you like
4) you can dive off of it and spear fish while you leave it nestled in the kelp beds
5) you can take it places you can't take boat.
6) if you got friends with big boats you can haul it to catalina.
7) you have to be in shape, no fat chicks!
8) if you wear Tom's shoes and a nautical themed shirt you can put a sail on it and some outriggers and look like a high roller
9) surf passages are more thrilling
10) if the world goes to hell like in maximum overdrive your boat won't kill you
Stay thirsty gents.

Main object is don't go with bad weather or high swells. Before the internet. I would buy a book. That predicted the flat days out In the ocean or bad days. I would go out when the ocean was flat like glass. I would go 18 miles out. In a 18.5 cutty cabin. Those were the good times.

Last edited:
I've been in some pretty heavy rollers before in the mouth of the harbor at Oceanside, somewhere in the area of 5-7ft, still didn't lose my bearing. JoshS, if there are white caps you aren't going anywhere but where the winds want you to if you are on a kayak. The benefit to the two person kayak is it would keep you nose down and the front person can pedal and use kayak paddle, while you steer and pedal in the rear seat.
I'm sure SD bay gets white caps sometimes but not that often and most wouldn't be fishing anyway in that stuff, it's not like we're drifting for walleye. I'd still do the mirage tandem anyday, I'd even one up that and go for the proangler!
I bugged my wife about it one year and she said "you come back from this deployment and you can get one", well I did that deployment and almost didn't make it back from the next so I took her up on it and bought my tandem!
Here are the pluses for a mirage.
1) you can put it on your truck yourself, also fits in the back of a truck.
2) Hobie drives, period!
3) You can only take one person with you, so make sure it's one you like
4) you can dive off of it and spear fish while you leave it nestled in the kelp beds
5) you can take it places you can't take boat.
6) if you got friends with big boats you can haul it to catalina.
7) you have to be in shape, no fat chicks!
8) if you wear Tom's shoes and a nautical themed shirt you can put a sail on it and some outriggers and look like a high roller
9) surf passages are more thrilling
10) if the world goes to hell like in maximum overdrive your boat won't kill you
Stay thirsty gents.
Lol.. I think u sold me with the no fat chicks rule or that I can finally wear nautical themed shirts. Hahah. Thanks again for the input though.

Back