Kenetrek?

You are wasting your time with insulated boot's in so cal period IMO. Get the hard scrabbles and you will be happy. Been wearing Hard Scrabbles for over ten years and I gotta tell you they work for me zero to fifty degree's without sock change. Every one is different but insulated boots in so cal is very questionable.

Reactions: ilovesprig
If you're not worried about insulation or being waterproof (which isn't a concern in San Diego most of the year), I've worn these for almost 5 years, and I wear them everywhere. Bates military boots. After 5 years, the bottoms are virtually undamaged. I've backpacked a lot of miles with these and they have saved my ankle from twisting countless times. They have those two air filters at the bottom for when your feet sweat. They keep the moisture away very well. You can find them pretty readily in San Diego. They're not the best for hiking steep, since they're a little more stiff near the ankle, BUT they will save your ankles, and you can hike steep terrain. If you're in the desert (I'm pretty sure this particular boot was designed for desert warfare), this boot is pretty clutch. Those air filters are a must if you're going to sweat.

IMG_9399.JPG IMG_9400.JPG

I also wear these Vasque Goretex. Fully waterproof, extremely comfortable, and very light boot. A lot more stretchy. They've kept my feet warm in the snow. I've hiked Half Dome in Yosemite with an overnight backpack while wearing these (4800 ft elevation gain). I've really got nothing bad to say about this boot, other than foot sweat in hot weather. They used to cramp my toes together, but that was my error. Once I loosened the bottom lace area and tightened the top, it fit my foot much better.

IMG_9398.JPG

For a Wyoming Elk Hunt I bought Wolverines (uninsulated) and Danner insulated pronghorns. At the end of the day my feet looked like prunes from the Woulverines, so I switched to the Danners. They were great, however, like you original inquiry all of the guides were using Kentrex. They were from Montana and swear by them. The pronghorns did keep my feet warm, and I bought them slightly large for merino wool socks. This year I will wear them to Colorado for a high country Dec-Jan Elk hunt.

Following up on my OP... so after several opinions (and blisters) I figured out my Kenetrek boots were a half-size too large. Bad news is that, because I bought them from BPS with gift cards, BPS wouldn't exchange them because they were worn. Kenetrek customer service offered to exchange them though for a $50 wear fee. I was then able to exchange them for a correct size and now they feel great on my feet. Despite the $50 charge, kudos to Kenetrek for working with me to get this figured out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Following up on my OP... so after several opinions (and blisters) I figured out my Kenetrek boots were a half-size too large. Bad news is that, because I bought them from BPS with gift cards, BPS wouldn't exchange them because they were worn. Kenetrek customer service offered to exchange them though for a $50 wear fee. I was then able to exchange them for a correct size and now they feel great on my feet. Despite the $50 charge, kudos to Kenetrek for working with me to get this figured out.

Glad it worked out. Congrats on the new boots.

Kenetreck is the best boot I have worn. I know they are expensive but I have never regretted spending the money on my pair of boots.... worth every penny.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
They’re a little stiff in the soles for a while, but they’re the best boots going once their broken in. I own a couple pairs and highly recommend them. Mountain guides and a pair of desert guides...

They’re a little stiff in the soles for a while, but they’re the best boots going once their broken in. I own a couple pairs and highly recommend them. Mountain guides and a pair of desert guides...
Yep now that I have my correct size, my blister problems are gone and after several long hikes they're wearing in nicely. I like how the stiff sole is sturdy on hills yet propels you forward on flat ground, if that makes sense.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu