Kern hunting

Chplee20

Sep 17, 2016
A buddy and I were thinking about hunting kern. Any tips or things we should know about hunting out there?

are you talking about duck at the refuge? ive been wanting to hit it up also should be a great hunt. plus its much closer for me then wister.

are you talking about duck at the refuge? ive been wanting to hit it up also should be a great hunt. plus its much closer for me then wister.
Yes duck hunting, we're just trying to switch it up from wister

Free roam is your best bet. They only have a few blinds and they go quick. My buddy and I hunted it in 2015 and we free roamed it and did very well.

A sled will help immensely so you can float your gear to where you want to hunt.

Check the flood map.

The couple assigned blinds that are available will go in the 1st couple of ressies.......Unit 2 free roam is always open.......Big area, big water.......The other units are available as they're flooded up.......I've always liked 2a when flooded.

Attachments

• Kern Waterfowl Hunt Opener 2016 (1).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Big learning curve at Kern (just like most refuges)......Free roam is your friend here, but again, it's a big marshes......You can drive the tour area the day before......Always a good idea.
.kern 2010 003.JPG kern 2010 005.JPG kern 2010 011.JPG kern 2010 025.JPG kern 2010 028.JPG

Last edited:
Great info and pics. Thanks Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu