Kern NWR Part ll

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Made my 2nd trip to Kern in the last 10 days. This time thanks to my friend Robert, who got a number 10 res.....We went free roam instead of taking a blind......Didn't disappoint......Didn't get the big ducks like the old days, but these days, it's more about the hunt, and the folks I'm with.

The one thing about Kern is, you have to be mobile in free roam .....Our 1st set-up just wasn't near enough to the X.....Robert moved out 1st and was done pretty quickly, I finally made the move and we finished up in short order.....Pretty much a spooniefest, but again didn't matter.....I love duck hunting......:blush:

.009.JPG 016.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG 022.JPG 026.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Matt.......Always fun hunting new spots and seeing the different habitats, waterfowlers, and the ways of a different place.

Saw this really cool ruddy......For the guys that don't know.....Ruddies, unlike other drake waterfowl species get their breeding plumage in the summer (bright blue bill & red body).....This guy is way way early.

. 005.JPG 006.JPG

Reactions: msailor
Have one more Lake Barrett hunt for the 18th, but can't go hope my buddy gets a limit of the ruddies they are good eats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu