Kids first dog

OCOutdoors

Oct 3, 2012
I've been out a couple of times this year doing my part with the coyotes. 3 dogs the last 3 times out. I've also missed a few long shots because they are getting too educated.
This one ran across the road in front of me on my way out so I jumped out, layed rifle across bed of truck and dropped him at 100yrds.
photo_zps452fc78b.jpg
I week later I go back and less than 100yrds from where I shot the last one I spot two others running through the rocks up the hill as I'm driving out. I again jump out of the truck and grab the rifle with only 1rnd and shoot one of them @200yrds. He does the death dance and is yelping like crazy so I figure he's dead and run to get another round hoping for a double. As I'm looking for the other this one gets up and limps off. I followed a blood trail for a long time up over a hill but lost it in the thick brush and rocks. If he lived he's hurting still. Last Friday my kid had off school and wanted to go hunting. He's had a couple of opportunities but has yet to close the deal. On our drive in I am going to a spot that I wanted to call first thing in the morning and I look up on the hillside to see 2 sitting there. I back out hoping they aren't spooked and we grab the rifles o try and put a sneak on them. We get within 175yrds and he takes the shot but misses. Off to another stand. I set him up on a rock overlooking a bowl and start the call, seconds into it this dog comes running out and I stop him at 75yrds. Damn near took his bottom jaw off.
photo_zps62d08f79.jpg
We were super excited. We saw 5 total that day, I missed one @175yrds and never got a shot at another. We almost didn't go because of the high winds and warm temps but it worked out for us.

That is some strong work OC. Good for you and your boy - way to get after those dogs!

photo_zps0b3d5207.jpg
Went out this morning with my son and a buddy, he got another one. Perfect shot @200yrds. We had 3 come in to 180yrds at first stand but busted us. Called a few other stands but nothing. On our way to another spot a dog was trotting across the field so we jumped out and grabbed the rifle and shooting sticks then set him up to shoot. While we were tring to set up my buddy also jumped out of his truck and set up then fired a shot but missed. The dog took off so I barked and he stopped @200yrds which gave my son enough time together on him and shoot. Dropped instantly, he couldn't have made a better shot.
We go get him and take some pictures then went to call another stand. We set up on a flat rock and start to call and not 20 seconds into it 1 comes running in. I reposition to where I think he will come in and as I do that at the corner of my eye I see another coming in. The first dog never stopped and come running all the way to the call 10yrds in front of us so I pointed my rifle till I saw fur I the scope and shot which through him off the rock. We tried to get on the other but he took off up the hill. I jump up to make sure mine was dead to find him limping off, I shot him in the back leg. He dropped down in a ditch full of rocks and brush but we had a huge blood trail. Ended up finding him down in a cave of rocks so my buddy finished him off. I had to crawl into the cave to get him out. 6dogs/2dead.
photo_zps4d654112.jpg
photo_zpsb1bb335f.jpg

Went out yesterday morning, it was cold and the wind was howling. Tried 3 different stands and nothing came in then went to a spot where the dogs have eluded me for over a year. I just got into the ravine and was getting ready to set up the call when I see a dog running up the hill away from me, I've been winded. By the time I get my rifle down on my shooting sticks I loose him in the brush. While I'm looking another comes out and trots away from me in the same direction. Stops broadside at about 220yrds and I put a bullet through it, little far back but got the job done. The other takes off running then stops around 350yrds so I quickly adjust my turret but shot just under that one so will have to get it another day. Hopefully it doesn't take another year.
photo_zps9d94dccb.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu