Killed some euros

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
Well we went down to the valley yesterday and went to our usual spot and their were people their and we asked if we could shoot a hundred yards down from em and they were cool guys and said sure. I killed a dove first shot when we got their then a double then I settled into my awful shooting habits lol. Me and my dad ended the day with around 35 birds only got picture of 8 in the first hour. At the end of the day when we were talking to the guys we met for a bit I thought they looked farmilar so my dad asked and they were on the website mstieger and a guy named Jason it was nice to meet y'all.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407379636.608301.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407379636.608301.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 119
Hi there! Great take! May I ask how you identify Euros in flight compared to mourning or white-winged dove? Also, how far south into the IV should I travel to harvest these bad boys? I usually hunt the fields adjacent to the Wister Waterfowl Management Are, but I didn't see any Euro's in that area last year. Should I move farther south nearer to the town?

Euros are a lighter colored dove and the tip of their tails are white and they have a black ring around their neck all I know if your not certain DO NOT SHOOT!!!!!!

Hey dude. Nice running into you and your pops. It was brutal hot out there, I couldn't seem to drink water fast enough. Got me pumped for the season though!

As for IDing euors and mournings in the air. That was my first time trying. But once you see them side by side it's easy. Euros have a square tail with a black stripe and a white stripe (as you can see in the picture). Mornings have a pointy tail that looks dark grey or brown. Euros also fly differently, like they know they are a heavier. A mourning kind of pulses up and down a bit while they fly but Euros fly a lot more true and straight. I can't see the neckband when they're in the air. But they seem generally lighter in color too.

Great take for a day.

To me euros fly more like pigeons they seem to glide for then morning or white wing.

Hey, thanks for all the great info guys! I really appreciate it and hope everyone has a safe and excellent season! Thanks again!

msailor said:
The more posts I see like this one tells me to get off my butt and get out there and get some!

It's hot Man U don't want to go till sept 1 it's much cooler

It's pretty dang hot on opening day also from my experience... it's just always friggin hot out there lol

Just serving a reminder on last year's regs for non-night hunting counties.

Non-game animals (like coyote) can be taken 30 minutes before sunrise up to 30 minutes after sunset.
Upland game birds (except pheasant and turkey) can be taken 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset (not 30 minutes after).

The regs on Wildlife.com are still showing 2013-2014 season so make sure you double check what's current before you go out.

Oh and this little gem:

In 2013, Eurasian collared-dove season was opened all year in Imperial County under subsection 300(b)(1)(C). The changes proposed by the Department for the 2014-2015 season, and thereafter, would extend the all year open season for Eurasian collared-dove to apply statewide.

They don't have the regs out yet so don't go betting on this until it's in black and white. Just a proposal on the wildlife website.

great job on eruo's we were out thier last week and got about the same did notice thier were a lot less eruos this time flying.

This will be the first year where the year long Euro season runs into the upland dove season, correct? Betting there's going to be a high weekend turnout for Euro's and, with Monday being a holiday, lots of people already on site for Monday's opener. Think that'll cause issues for availability of mourning and white wing? I guess it doesn't really matter since the Euro's are bigger meat portions anyway... just making an observation hoping they don't disperse on everyone in the I.V.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu