Lake cuyamaca

Gspman

hey all I'm headed to lake cuyamaca this weekend for 4 days with the wife son and 2 grand kids and the new to us trailer in tow. Hoping for some decent fishing. Any pointers for this or any other lakes in the area? Is any one willing to point me to some ground squirrel areas?

If any one is in the area stop by and say hi.

Turkey season is in full swing, so trying to find gs's on public will be trying.....Heck, it's hard even when it's not......Shooting rifles on any public could be dangerous as well.

Lake Cuyamaca used to have millions of crappie that you could catch on any crappie jig......Not anymore I'm told......I'm sure there's still trout.....I've always like the right side of the rock weir. Most your standard trout baits work......Ask the folks in the restaurant or rangers.....They may help you.

.lake cuyamaca 6-3-11 004.JPG lake cuyamaca 6-3-11 003.JPG lake cuyamaca 6-3-11 022.JPG

Bout 10-15 years ago the rangers and gamies would say if the crappie were under the size of a dollar bill there was no limit on them. We would take 100 plus a day out of there

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the people in the bakeshop are very helpful though almost tell you exactly where to fish and what to use. My boy caught a hold of that big sturgeon they have in the lake you can't keep it but it's a fun ride

I fish the far corner of the Dam in Steve's second picture. I use a bullet weight, swivel 18" leader and a small treble hook, 4lb max line weight. I use "Gulp" brand chartruse or rainbow power bait and I put a 1-2" orange gulp worm on there as well. There is a difference between regular power bait and Gulp power bait. This set up has never let me down up there. They use to stock all the extra fish from the fisheries which meant almost a guaranteed limit of small trout. Now they are stocking more of the trophy size trout. It hasn't been as wide open as it use to be for a few years. This set up and that spot will catch you fish. This picture was a couple hours one afternoon. Mornings are way better just hard for me to get the whole family up there at son rise.

27DCE74B-CDE2-4545-A0DA-DC34F2BB9844 (2).jpg

Thanks for the great info. We are all pretty excited. This is the longest single vacation I've had in a while. Lots and lots of 3 day weekends but I haven't had 5 days off in a row in over 2 years.

Doug,

Bring a good camera too.......Lots of deer, turkeys, raptors, waterfowl, etc. around the lake.

.lake cuyamaca 6-3-11 011.JPG lake cuyamaca 6-3-11 014.JPG lake cuyamaca 6-3-11 001.JPG

Thanks steve. I've got my trusty titanium canon dslr. It has been to hell and back with me for many years. It's always in the truck.

Well we could not leave home untill this morning. Got the kids up at 3 and out the door by 3:30am. Record time. Had rain the whole drive. Got to the camp site at 7:30 and it was raining muddy and 45deg.

First thing we noticed trailer had a flat on the rear tandem. They have less then 1000 miles in them.
Then we tried to park.....
The trailer slipped in the mud and smashed into a rock and we tore up the bumper. Then it slid all side ways and we got all messed up. Took almost an hour to back the trailer in and we woke up everyone in the camp ground. The fog rolled it and it got even colder.

Now we are stuck in the trailer with my wife my 17 year old son an 8 yr old and a 7yr old avoiding the 40-50mph wind.

I love to get away!!!

I hope we can fish tomorrow

your kids will look back on this trip and talk about that awesome time you guys had at cuyamaca.
Good luck fishing don't share all my secrets;) we got out for turkey this morning and we're pretty wet by 8 decided to go get breakfast and go home.

My 8yr old granddaughter got it done finally. All day on the boat with not even a nibble and at just after 2pm she picks this up with a 2" rapalla lure of all things. I've never seen a trout hooked on a top water lure.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
That's great, Doug......Congrats to her......:blush:

ps.....Small Rapala's have always been good for trout.

My 8yr old granddaughter got it done finally. All day on the boat with not even a nibble and at just after 2pm she picks this up with a 2" rapalla lure of all things. I've never seen a trout hooked on a top water lure.
Her smile says it all. Way to stick with it grandpa!!

Back