Lake Fire

damstar

Oct 21, 2014
With the Lake Fire raging through parts of D-14 over the weekend it got me wondering about fire and its impact on deer, both short term and long term. In the long term sense could a fire be good thing for an area or is it too much for an already declining deer population? Just about all of you have tons more hunting experience than I do I was wondering what your thoughts were?

Fire is good for the most part for wildlife & habitat, especially deer......A year or so after fires deer flock to the burns for the new plant growth. Deer hunting in D-16 had never been better than after the 2003 & 2007 fires down here.

I was allowed to go into the fire zone literally right after it blew thru. This picture is of the Witch Creek Fire & Lake Sutherland (2007). A buck & a doe walking thru the embers.

Attachments

• fire 2007 015.jpg
    fire 2007 015.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 84
  • fire 2007 004.jpg
    fire 2007 004.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 82
The short term problem for me with the lake fire is I'm going to have to find out where the deer I've been following for the past 6 month went.

As sprig said fire is for the most part good. Just hope that it doesn't burn to hot. With the dead timber I fear it's going to be quite hot. The station fire was hot and they kept it closed for two years I think.

It's a hunters dream new areas open to glass, fresh new feed growth......you'll have no problem finding them look for water and go from there......

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu