Lake Henshaw Today...4-6-21

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Started the morning with a new member of MCC...He had never shot a turkey here in SoCal (1 in Hawaii)...Snuck into the woods and at about 5:45, we got our 1st gobble...Before you knew it, we had 5 boys sounding off...Never heard a hen, so I knew we were in business...While calling to a big guy in front of us, I hear drumming from behind us...Bruce was in front and to my left...He slowly turns around and lets loose...Jake down...Pretty quick hunt, but action packed.

After showing him more of MCC, I decided to fish for some crappie & bass at Lake Henshaw...After 2 or 3 flips with a Senko, I land about a 2 1/2 lber...Moved down the bank and got another...Fun, but I wanted crappie...Switched to a crappie jig and bobber...In short order, I had my 1st slab...Then lost 2 in a row...Before landing another...Couple bobber dips, but no more fish and it was getting to hot and calm...The bite is only going to get better.

.IMG_1025.JPGIMG_1028.JPGIMG_1029.JPG

Started the morning with a new member of MCC...He had never shot a turkey here in SoCal (1 in Hawaii)...Snuck into the woods and at about 5:45, we got our 1st gobble...Before you knew it, we had 5 boys sounding off...Never heard a hen, so I knew we were in business...While calling to a big guy in front of us, I hear drumming from behind us...Bruce was in front and to my left...He slowly turns around and lets loose...Jake down...Pretty quick hunt, but action packed.

After showing him more of MCC, I decided to fish for some crappie & bass at Lake Henshaw...After 2 or 3 flips with a Senko, I land about a 2 1/2 lber...Moved down the bank and got another...Fun, but I wanted crappie...Switched to a crappie jig and bobber...In short order, I had my 1st slab...Then lost 2 in a row...Before landing another...Couple bobber dips, but no more fish and it was getting to hot and calm...The bite is only going to get better.

.View attachment 48651View attachment 48652View attachment 48653
Something special about watching a bobber just disappear, love fishin and eating crappie

Reactions: ilovesprig
Something special about watching a bobber just disappear, love fishin and eating crappie

Mikey,

You're right on...I caught my 1st crappie at Lake Henshaw sometime in the 50's...Basically, the same technique...Bobber with a white Go-Getter.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu