Lasik and Hunting

dhntr48

Oct 7, 2015
Any one out there have bad eyes , or had bad eyes ? Can you have Lasik , or Laser eye surgery and still shoot upland , Ducks ? I don't know any one that hunts that has had it done , so thought I would check here .

My brother has had lasik. He shoots clays, upland, I also took him duck hunting and he never had any issue.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Any one out there have bad eyes , or had bad eyes ? Can you have Lasik , or Laser eye surgery and still shoot upland , Ducks ? I don't know any one that hunts that has had it done , so thought I would check here .
I had terrrrrible eyesight most of my life but when I got Lasik 5 years ago it changed my life. I used to wear contacts 24/7 and I remember how miserable I'd be after a day of being in the outdoors, or even just the hassle of carrying an extra pair. Best money I've ever spent.. I highly recommend it if u can swing it. No issue whatsoever with hunting, although I'd definitely wear shooting glasses to protect your investment on days like dove opener.

I had it done about 14 years ago. Had no problem with it for about 10 years then it started to, let's say, fade out a little. What I mean by that is that I'm probably about 20/40 or so now. I could still drive without correction and I could still shoot also, but I now wear glasses to get crystal clear vision for species ID when hunting and so I can read road signs from a good distance while driving. I haven't looked into getting a "tune up" but I suspect it might be a problem due to my age. For now I think I'm gong to stick with the glasses but if I were younger I'd probably go for it.

I might add that I was told, when I had it done, that due to my age at that time I'd probably need reading glasses when they fixed my distance vision (which I did, but felt that was a fair trade off). Apparently if I were 10 years or so younger when I had it done I wouldn't have needed the reading glasses. As I noted above, that was 14 years ago. Now a days, with technological advancements, maybe this wouldn't be a problem.

I might add that it was some of the best money I ever spent. I was something like 20/300 before I had it done and couldn't see squat without glasses before I had it done. Even though its not now perfect vision it's still a damn sight (pun intended) better then it was before.

Some guys saying its the best money they ever spent...my experience, its the second best (after my vasectomy).
Think of it as an investment in yourself. The best sense ever and I can't believe I suffered almost 2 decades of headaches, glasses and contacts, to name a few.
I have a girl friend whose vision is not great but not too bad. I take her hiking/scouting over the summer and when I would point things out to her she can't see it. Its a sad case that I could be pointing out a beautiful sight and she's missing the moment.
I dont shoot upland but I can shoot a shotgun fine when someone throws a clay. I do shoot scoped rifles and it really helps with that.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu