Last weekend for quail and cotton tails

Went to the high desert and got skunked. I WILL bag a chukar next season.
Yeah I went out to the desert in search of those red legged devils too. I wanted to give one more go at them before it ended as it's been since I was a teenager that I got one. Hadn't even seen one in several years. Can't say anymore now.

Lee,

I've shot chukar from Stoddard Well to Crowley lake.....Jawbone Cyn, Scodie Mts, Walker Pass, Little Lake, Big Pine Cyn, White Mts, and Randsberg/Black Mts. were all areas that produced over the years....I know the drought was bad, but it's not the 1st one we've ever had since the introduction in the 50's (DFG not maintaining guzzlers doesn't help either)....I know deer hunters saw coveys super high....So, maybe that's where they're at.

.stoddard wells 1982.jpg

Yeah I went out to the desert in search of those red legged devils too. I wanted to give one more go at them before it ended as it's been since I was a teenager that I got one. Hadn't even seen one in several years. Can't say anymore now.
Sounds like us, one more shot at them rather than go for the safer option (quail). No guts no glory right? We found a few earlier in the season and like Sprig is saying, they’re still out there somewhere.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I know the drought was bad, but it's not the 1st one we've ever had since the introduction in the 50's (DFG not maintaining guzzlers doesn't help either)
Based on what I have encountered this season and particularly closing weekend I would say the poor and broken status of our guzzlers is a huge factor. Couple things I think are occurring.

1. DFG doesn't do anything for them and neither does any of the public agencies managing the lands for the most part.
2. The Wilderness Act is outdated and either barring or making it increasing difficult to maintain the guzzlers. No consideration was given to guzzlers when the boundaries were drawn up. And no procedure was considered to give reasonable exemptions to maintain things in wilderness areas. I'm not even sure if the differing upland groups are allowed to make repairs on the guzzlers in wilderness areas. I do know that if they were allowed to make repairs that hauling items like concrete and water in several miles without being allowed the use of ANY wheeled object, even a wheelbarrow, is a tall order to say the least.
3. The groups that do do repairs seem to be comprised of mostly older guys.
4. The social media presence of many of these groups is sub par to put it mildly. If a new person wants to help it's not very easy to even find out how. Some of the Quail Forever chapters sole point of contact seem to be a Facebook page? I'm sorry but that is stupid. Many people, myself included, hate that wretched site and refuse to use it. You can't even view things as a non member without that giant signup bar covering half the screen.
5. The locations are largely kept secret. People don't care about what they don't know exist. Part of me wishes that we did what NV does and make the locations of all of them publicly available. But I will say I would want it to be an all or nothing sort of thing.
6. As many as there are there aren't even enough if you ask me. If anything more should be made but instead the ones we have are breaking faster then they can be maintained.

These are only SOME of the completely broken ones I have come across this season. There are more. And there are many more that I'm surprised still hold water and look to be near to complete failure or only working partially.

20190126_105719.jpg

20190127_105753.jpg
20190125_134549.jpg
20190113_113129.jpg

Attachments

• 20190127_105753.jpg
    20190127_105753.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 3
About 7-8 years ago before one of my partners moved. We were Hunting
IV for pheasant. I guess the gun club
Over there had stocked some chukar
In field next to field we were Hunting.
Apparently they they crossed into the field we were in.
So we as we hiked the field we kept bumping the funny looking pheasant
Hens.
There was a guy with a dog Hunting
In stocked field. He kept nailing these
Birds. I asked what they were?
He said stocked chukar.
So we didn't realize it was chukar
We were busting up. LOL

Based on what I have encountered this season and particularly closing weekend I would say the poor and broken status of our guzzlers is a huge factor. Couple things I think are occurring.

1. DFG doesn't do anything for them and neither does any of the public agencies managing the lands for the most part.
2. The Wilderness Act is outdated and either barring or making it increasing difficult to maintain the guzzlers. No consideration was given to guzzlers when the boundaries were drawn up. And no procedure was considered to give reasonable exemptions to maintain things in wilderness areas. I'm not even sure if the differing upland groups are allowed to make repairs on the guzzlers in wilderness areas. I do know that if they were allowed to make repairs that hauling items like concrete and water in several miles without being allowed the use of ANY wheeled object, even a wheelbarrow, is a tall order to say the least.
3. The groups that do do repairs seem to be comprised of mostly older guys.
4. The social media presence of many of these groups is sub par to put it mildly. If a new person wants to help it's not very easy to even find out how. Some of the Quail Forever chapters sole point of contact seem to be a Facebook page? I'm sorry but that is stupid. Many people, myself included, hate that wretched site and refuse to use it. You can't even view things as a non member without that giant signup bar covering half the screen.
5. The locations are largely kept secret. People don't care about what they don't know exist. Part of me wishes that we did what NV does and make the locations of all of them publicly available. But I will say I would want it to be an all or nothing sort of thing.
6. As many as there are there aren't even enough if you ask me. If anything more should be made but instead the ones we have are breaking faster then they can be maintained.

These are only SOME of the completely broken ones I have come across this season. There are more. And there are many more that I'm surprised still hold water and look to be near to complete failure or only working partially.

View attachment 37926

View attachment 37928
View attachment 37929
View attachment 37930
What ever they are doing AZ
It seems to be working.
Ca. Pretty much sucks.

Reactions: Smokey58
sunday wasnt to bad. went out to san feipe WA to do some predator calling/quail and cottontail.

well my first stand was interrupted by folks who live on the border of the granit hill unit. they start to video me as i was walking out. i was quested before i walked in by another guy as well. ive called a few yotes there last time but i just had a bad feeling that maybe i was wrong but with 3 dfg resources telling me i could be there i hung around. i wasnt feeing it so i left and went north of the 78 and found tons of jack. so hard to get in bow range. they move so much and hear me from 60 yards away!. well i missed quite a few but had fun doing it. i set up a few stand with only calling 2 yotes which i beleive were the same one. no shots on both appearances. saw some quial sign but it went into the thick cover.

while doing all this i found lots of deer sign. nice big buck tracks and tons of does. i think im going to dedicate this years season to san felipe and the san felipe hills.

anyway had fun being outside and missing jacks by inches. most shots were 40 yards plus. tied a new bunt head broadhead liked the performance.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu