Last weekend

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
I'm going to get out at least once this weekend. Then I'm on to the next step in my progression... Black Friday for a rifle to use next year (I only got a few odd looks with my 12guage and slugs. One fellow hunter asked if I was hunting turkey.) It was a lot of fun this season but I do wish that I' have spent at least one night in a sleeping bag...that's when you know you are really into it.

Bought my daughter a Savage Axis in .243 this fall.......Worked great.......Lots of good deals on them for Black Friday ($329.00)......I like the Ruger American even better. Just a little more money.....For you, I would recommend the .270 or 30.06 though.

Good luck this week-end.

Attachments

• IMG_9236.JPG
    IMG_9236.JPG
    700.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9241.JPG
    IMG_9241.JPG
    808.5 KB · Views: 72
Black Friday Rifle

These are the rifles I am choosing between:
Savage Axis XP .270 ($250 before taxes and fees)
Remington 770 .270 ($200 before taxes and fees)
Remington 700 ADL Stainless Steel .270 ($400 before taxes and fees)
All three come with a different, low end 3-9 x40 scope
(Ruger American didn't go on sale for Black Friday the way I thought it would)

Any recommendations between these?

Re: Black Friday Rifle

DanSanDiego said:
These are the rifles I am choosing between:
Savage Axis XP .270 ($250 before taxes and fees)
Remington 770 .270 ($200 before taxes and fees)
Remington 700 ADL Stainless Steel .270 ($400 before taxes and fees)
All three come with a different, low end 3-9 x40 scope
(Ruger American didn't go on sale for Black Friday the way I thought it would)

Any recommendations between these?

Rem 700 first and Ruger second.

If you can get a Remington stainless 700 for $400 you need to run down and buy it immediately.

Fine Firearms has the Ruger American on sale for $349 and the VX-1 Leupold 3-9x40 on sale for $189. Includes free scope mounting and laser bore sighting.

Another to look at is Marlin XL-7. Similar price to Ruger with an adjustable trigger. I like mine.

Re: Black Friday Rifle

NBK said:
Rem 700 first and Ruger second.

If you can get a Remington stainless 700 for $400 you need to run down and buy it immediately.

Fine Firearms has the Ruger American on sale for $349 and the VX-1 Leupold 3-9x40 on sale for $189. Includes free scope mounting and laser bore sighting.

Dude you should seriously consider this deal at Fine Firearms. The Ruger American has the two stage accutrigger, which is a safer set-up than single stage and it's adjustable. Those triggers help shooters, especially new ones, shoot better. All that won't matter so much in the field, but will make range time way more fun. The VX-1 is superior to any cheap package scope you will get. The optics are extremely clear, the scope is tough, and it has ballistic drop hashes to help you aim out to 300 and 400 yards.

I bought the exact rig, in .270, from Fine Firearms 3 years ago for close to $800. They did a pro job mounting the scope. The thing is awesome and shoots great. When I dropped it on the ground last month NBK checked it out for free. For $538, including mounting, it's steal (compare to Big 5 sale's price of $589 for Ruger American and Redfield Scope). And you don't even have to trample anyone to death at a Black Friday Sale.

I paid about 350 for my XL-7 and almost that for the leupold I put on it. Dead is dead.

Definitely take a look at Remington's 783. They come in a few different medium/ big game calibers.

I have one in 30-06, shoots about M.O.A. @100yards with good ammo and they are on sale everywhere.
Plus you don't have to deal with everything you would read about on the internet about the Rem 770.

I hesitated on the rifle purchase on Black Friday and am regretting it now (the store was 20 miles from my house and I ended up spending the day with family - so I never made it to the store). The Remington 700 ADL in stainless steel at Dicks Sporting Goods would have been a great purchase at $429. Now it is back to regular price of $589. I won't need the rifle until next year's deer season, but I plan to make it to the range at least each month. So I'll watch the rest of the holiday fliers.

DanSanDiego said:
I hesitated on the rifle purchase on Black Friday and am regretting it now (the store was 20 miles from my house and I ended up spending the day with family - so I never made it to the store). The Remington 700 ADL in stainless steel at Dicks Sporting Goods would have been a great purchase at $429. Now it is back to regular price of $589. I won't need the rifle until next year's deer season, but I plan to make it to the range at least each month. So I'll watch the rest of the holiday fliers.

Come on down to Fine Firearms and ask for me and I will extend the Ruger/Leupold deal for you if you want...

NBK said:
DanSanDiego said:

Come on down to Fine Firearms and ask for me and I will extend the Ruger/Leupold deal for you if you want...

I would take that deal..

I have never been to Fine Firearms and don't have any idea who NBK is. That being said when you get an offer like that from someone I would be willing to pay more to him than to Dick's, Big 5, Turners, or even Bass Pro…

I bought a sweetheart little 243 Thompson Venture youth gun last year for my daughter from Dicks. I looked at that gun for about 6 months and was able to get a smoking deal on it and they even swapped out the cheap POS 3-9x40 with a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 BDC and didn't raise the price of the gun. Ive been in the same store about 6 times looking for a similar gun for me and I can hardly get anyone to show me anything. And they don't know shit about what they have.

I wish I had a good gun shop near me...

CaptJgray said:
I wish I had a good gun shop near me...
yeah, local shops add huge value every time you walk in the door. But even if you're not in San Diego, you might still consider checking FF for a purchase like that. Service after the sale is first class, they stand behind everything they sell, and they remember you next to me you walk through the door.
8)

Don't know if you took NBK up on that offer but you should have that was a great deal. I've never met NBK but from his and other post from people who do know him on here and other web sites I post on he is a stand up guy that you can trust.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu