Late season archery strategy?

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
I can locate deer for the most part in D-11 during the general rifle season. However in the late A-31 season all the deer seen to vanish! What do I need to change up in order to be successful late in the season? What do the deer tend to do differently when the season gets later and later?

Sent from my iPhone

Do shorter daylight hours and the hunting pressure make them more nocturnal?

Sent via Tapatalk

Well during the rifle season I hiked a pretty heavy hunted area right around dusk and saw a group of five deer. They were on a north facing slope. However I tried that same strategy during archery season all during November and December and didn't see anything. I saw tracks that were only hours old but it probably was during the evening. I just have a lot of questions about all this stuff. Like also when is the rut at its peak up in d11?

Sent from my iPhone

Here is an older thread about the rut in Southern Ca that might help. http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=2351.0
I hunt D16 and for me the bucks seem to vanish by December 1st. I get a few on camera but it is usually after legal light.

I focus on the Doe activity. I try and keep track of the ones that will cycle late and that is where the Bucks are. But I hunt private land and the deer stay in small herds so it is easier to keep track.

Pressure will move them nocturnal but the does will bring them out for a shot.

You could try tracking some fresh tracks to the bedding area and hope you can get a shot.....it's worked for me in SD.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu