Late season Quail Hunt/ Camping

Crosman999

Jul 26, 2015
Ventura, CA
Several months ago I received the New Seneca Eagle Claw from Pyramydair to field review. This is a .25 caliber lever action 70 fpe rifle that I was more than excited to get to field use. We have received a good amount of rain and snow so it took some time to be able to put together a few days of time in the field.

eagle-claw-cover-450x281.jpg

Several weeks after receiving the rifle I packed up the Jeep to head several hours into the mountains where we would spend several days with the Eagle Claw. The weather has been very cold so the hunting was expected to be very slow with animal activity. This area has an variety of animals to hunt such as Cottontail, Jackrabbits, Quail, Coyote and Ground Squirrels. Much of this area still had snow patches from the storm that came through several days prior of the trip. The ground was saturated and made traveling these rugged roads very difficult even in the Jeep. I planned to spend the first part of the morning testing the Eagle Claw at various ranges as well as to test both pellets and slugs.
The high of the day was just 34 degrees, very cold for much animal activity but Marley and I were still eager to get out and try for some hunting. After loading up my pack I took some time to discuss the Air Venturi buddy bottle I had purchased to extend my ventures into the field.

snapshot27-450x253.png

This is a 100 cu in 4500psi bottle that has an EZ fill valve that keeps the unit very slim for packing away. Here is a link to the smaller version found at Pyramydair. Marley and I set off away from camp where I had planned a big 4 mile loop into some very rugged canyon terrain.

snapshot15-450x253.png

The area still had patches of snow that made traversing the steep hillsides quite slippery and difficult. We moved diagonally into the higher elevations with hopes of spotting some movement of animals.

snapshot16-450x253.png

As we slowly made way up through the canyon I was able to spot a covey of Quail moving about at 75 yards, I set up my shot on one that was still at just over 75 yards.

snapshot17-450x253.png

I took careful aim and made a perfect headshot with Marley making a quick recovery up next to some thick brush. Captured on the Tactacam FTS scope camera.

snapshot18-450x253.png

Quail are very difficult birds to hunt with and Airgun due to the fact they don’t stay still for long. These birds are difficult to spot and this late in the season are really not as active as during the warmer months.

snapshot19-450x253.png

snapshot20-450x253.png

After bagging our bird we set out and continued the big 4 mile loop back to camp. As we were hiking my camera ended up disconnecting from my pack and took a pretty nasty tumble onto some rocks. The LCD screen cracked unfortunately so I was worried that my video footage may have been compromised over the two days. Thankfully the camera still functioned enough to get me through this trip but I will unfortunately need to be replacing it soon. We continued our hike up through a dry creek-bed where I saw no activity at all, the cold weather was keeping most of the animals hunkered down and out of sight. Marley and I made way back to camp where I set up the tent and dug out a good size fire-pit to help keep us warm for the night ahead.

snapshot21-450x253.png

snapshot22-450x253.png

I dug the fire-pit fairly wide and pushed some dirt towards the back stacking some rocks on top to reflect the heat towards the tent. I set a flat stone in the center of the fire to set the cast iron pot on to cook the Quail. After getting a good bed of coals I cleaned the Quail and placed it into a small zip lock bag with some garlic and herb seasoning.

snapshot23-450x253.png

Nothing went to waste and between Marley and I we ate the entire bird, not much meat but still tasty. These birds have fairly large breast and if prepared correctly are some of the best tasting meat one can have. Highly recommended to try!

snapshot24-450x253.png

After an early dinner Marley and I headed back out for a short walk around the camp seeing only a glimpse of a small Cottontail scurrying away into the thick brush. These types of cold weather hunts can get very frustrating, especially when trying to field review a gun on video. The temperature by this time we plummeting down into the low 20’s so we made way back to camp to enjoy the warmth of the fire.

IMG_20200109_152231-450x338.jpg

My day spent with the Eagle Claw was great, was nice to get to learn a little more about it and get to carry in under some heavy field conditions.

snapshot25-450x253.png

That night we bundled ourselves under a ton of blankets and I periodically got up to keep the fire tended through the early morning hours.

The following morning I woke up and made some coffee while Marley slept in a bit longer till the sun came out.

snapshot26-450x253.png

The plan for the day was to hike away from camp into a giant 5 mile loop that I hoped would give us some better hunting opportunity. The Eagle Claw is a bit heavy but carries very well, the larger air capacity is well worth the trade in weight I think. About a mile or so into our hike we took a break near a rocky area that offered a good panoramic view.

snapshot28-450x253.png

I was able to spot some active Ground squirrel activity between 70 and 100+ yards on the many nearby rock outcroppings. Normally during cold months the Ground Squirrels are pretty much non existent and stay underground till the days get warmer, seeing so many was surprising to me. I was able to conceal myself well behind a large boulder that doubled well as a steady rest for the Eagle Claw. I do like the loner swooped stock design as it works very well for these types of shooting positions.

snapshot32-450x253.png

I was able to connect with several large adult Ground Squirrels with the furthest out just past 100 yards. The eagle Claw no doubt had adequate power to get out to these ranges with ease. The lever action made reloading extremely quick while still keeping eyes on target through the scope. I really enjoyed the swooped long forend of the rifle, made resting on the rocks much easier for me.

snapshot30-450x253.png

The Hawke Vantage 3-12×44 SF scope works very well for most all hunting situations, the lower power is great for a wide field of view. When hiking around I usually always have the scope magnification set to 3 power so I’m able to make quick target acquisitions.

snapshot33-450x253.png

After spending about an hour in this spot taking down more around 10 Ground Squirrels Marley and I moved along the trail onto the big loop back to camp. On the way back heading through a field I was able to spot a large jackrabbit moving away at over 130 yards, tried moving in closer but it was gone from sight.

snapshot34-450x253.png

Back at camp we took a much needed rest and I filmed for a few segments of the enclosed video. Our time in the field was well spent and I was blessed to have had such a beautiful few days with the Eagle Claw. Although the cold weather made things difficult I was still blessed to have taken a good size Quail that fed us the night before as well as some success with the Ground Squirrels. I really want to thank Pyramydair for supporting Marley and I to get out and bring this hunt to you guys. I really enjoyed this hunt with the Eagle Claw and will enclose the video of our full adventure with this gun. Sorry it has taken me this long to post, I have been away filming as well as visiting the Shot Show in Las Vegas.

Cheers,
Dana

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu