Lee loadmaster

Well after hours of reading, videos on youtube, & all the info here. I have made the decision ro go with a Dillon 550b i will use it as a single stage to start out with. I'm going with this one because i want to reload ammo for plinking. I plan on doing a lot of shooting this next year... Thank you all for your info. I greatly appreciate it....

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Aeon hit the nail on the head, progressives are great if you want to sit at the bench and knock out 200+ rounds of one caliber but are just as annoying to set up as a single stage. if you wanted to buy a turret for each different caliber that you reload than it would be very quick and easy to switch to something else then come back later. If you really want to load consistent rifle ammo then a single stage is definitely the way to go. Also, progressives are a problem for me cause is seems like way to speedy of a process for something you should spend a bit more time on for safety reasons. when I load, I clean brass in two stages, once before resizing and once more after, then I take my time with case trimming. DON'T RUSH CASE TRIMMING. be diligent and check your tolerance on every case you trim. Once that is all done and you are ready to load, check the tolerance on your bullet seat die. Always make sure you are within tolerance. This is the one reason why I do not like progressive, people will get lazy over time because they feel the method is fire and forget. Turrets and quick disconnect bushing are rad, but when you get lazy and something isn't where it should be than you can get really hurt. Single stage is by far the best in my opinion. Be diligent and check every case length ( maybe get a case gauge for .223 if you are trimming a lot of brass at once, or a good caliper always gets the job done.) check every powder charge and make sure its what it should be. If the scale is digital, re-calibrate it often. I usually re-cal it after 20-30 rounds...ALWAYS. And always always check your bullet seat, and OAL on every round. Reloading is supposed to be relaxing, but most of all safe. Get a single stage, take your time and you will have a blast!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu