Let’s get this party started! Buck Down !!!!!!!!!!!

BuckHunter

“Venison” It’s what’s for dinner!
Feb 3, 2011
It feels good to be back.

Got up at 3:45 and put on the lucky boxers. My truck is in the shop so I’m in a rental SUV. Road the bike in and got up the tree before sun up. I forgot my head lamp and with no moonlight I had to ride slow. This was my 7th sit this season and after passing on a nice buck last year and getting skunked I was ready to let one fly. At 6:50 I could hear a little movement in the leaves. This guy stepped out at 40 yards behind some branches. I got a quick look at his swollen neck and rack and a calm came over me. Focus………… This is it. I went to turn on the video but he started walking up the trail. He stopped at 45 yards right in my shooting lane. No time for the video, this is my chance. Two more steps and he’s gone. I pulled back, split my 40 and 50 pins over his heart and let it go…………… There was a loud whack and the buck kicked and let out a grunt then ran out of view. The arrow was still in him so I was sure it hit the opposite shoulder. Even though I knew it was a good hit I was giving him 45 minutes anyways. While waiting, a second buck stepped out following the same trail. My second tag is not open and he was just a 2 ½ year old fork so his lucky day. I got out of the stand and walked over to look for first blood and I spotted movement in the distance. It was a coyote. I ranged him at 75 yards but he saw me and took off. I looked over to where he was and see antlers sticking up. No need to blood trail this one. Can’t believe a coyote found him that fast. He hadn’t eaten anything so no harm done. I rolled the buck over to find the heart shot. After 3 trips in and out, he was in the cooler. We’re eating good tonight, and so are the coyotes.

Oh, And if you rent a SUV from Budget next week with blood in the back…….. Watch out for ticks ! They're looking for a new home.

Attachments

• 2014  (1).JPG
    2014 (1).JPG
    937.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 2014  (5).JPG
    2014 (5).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • 2014  (6).JPG
    2014 (6).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Way to go buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice buck (will make lots of fine meals) and good coloring in the antlers (make sure to save those)

Business as usual Jim! Strong work, and thanks for sharing.

D16hunter said:
That's gonna be hard to beat in the archery contest congrats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys ! Lots of rut activity out there.

There are some heavy hitters in the contest again this year. I bet this buck ends up in 3rd or 4th place . But I'm happy with that and I still have another tag.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu