Let’s talk pizza ovens.

L.P. So what kind of oven options do you know of ? I could build something here if I studied the science but would like to know if there is something intermediate that could be bought and installed without contracters coming on board. Just asking....

@dtbushpilot needs to chime in. He did some research on this subject and built one for his outdoor kitchen down in East Cape. Impressive kitchen tool. On my list...

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Ooni Pro. It will do wood, pellets, and LP. Only downside is it doesn’t have a NG regulator. 500-700$. Pizza, steaks, naan is pretty good out of it as well. Now this is gonna get weird, the favorite of all guests is a Dill pickle pizza, homemade dough, olive oil dill garlic sauce, dill pickles (dab off the moisture) cheese.

L.P. So what kind of oven options do you know of ? I could build something here if I studied the science but would like to know if there is something intermediate that could be bought and installed without contracters coming on board. Just asking....
There are lots of options out there. The Bartello and the Ooni are the ones that I was interested in because of them being portable. With the ability to use different fuels.

i have the blackstone outdoor oven and it is awesome.... i also just got the masterbuilt gravityfed charcoal grill that can run at 700deg but have not used it for pizzas

Reactions: Lungpopper
Ooni Pro. It will do wood, pellets, and LP. Only downside is it doesn’t have a NG regulator. 500-700$. Pizza, steaks, naan is pretty good out of it as well. Now this is gonna get weird, the favorite of all guests is a Dill pickle pizza, homemade dough, olive oil dill garlic sauce, dill pickles (dab off the moisture) cheese.
Your wife's been talking up the dill pickle pizza but I've yet to sample.. I need to verify its goodness

We make homemade pizza once a week easiest way to make the dough is go buy a bread maker from a thrift shop no more than $10. When we buy premade dough my wife gets the stuff from Trader Joes it's pretty good.

Awesome thread. I use my green egg. Certainly not pizza specific but I love the wood fired taste. If I had more room I’d be all over a legit pizza oven. My wife wants one at the next house to make em with the kids.

The Alfa One looks like a nice unit. I think if I was going to do one on the patio I would build a brick oven. For portable @Lungpopper looks to have a winner.

I have the pizza oven attachment on my Camp Chef woodwind smoker. It’s not a brick pizza oven by any means but man we have made some good pies out of that thing.
I’m intrigued about this pickle pizza recipe. We have some pickle fans in my house and I’m always game to try something new.

We bought a Casa2 40” woodfired oven kit from Forno Bravo, we love it. It has been in service in our outdoor kitchen for 8 years and we use it frequently. They have a wide range of ovens, accessories, recipes, forum etc. They even have instructions for building your own. https://www.fornobravo.com/product-series/casa2g-series-residential-pizza-oven-kits/.

I couldn’t find any decent pizza pictures, the one I posted was made with fresh mozzarella slices and requested “not too Crispy”, not how they usually look. The “action shot” is a better representation but the photo sucks.
1C6017F9-A44D-4E9B-8D58-C59936216B0B.jpegC42B9350-7983-4E4D-8CFA-D12CB9D81937.jpeg8873D3BA-9FC0-4E8E-BBD5-2727FDDA9B7B.jpeg25A9EDD9-4C79-4C75-BDCA-5A6B972201E8.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu