Let's Talk Politics! SoCal Hunting Politics that is.

teachanother

Jul 3, 2011
San Diego
I posted this as a reply on another thread and BuckHunter asked me to move it up here. (BTW - My mother told me never to talk about politics or religion, but I never was a very good listener.)

From Santiago's "Suggestions Please" thread:

Personally I'd like to hear more about the local politics of hunting in this area. I'm sick of the anti's walking all over us outdoor folks and would like to see some more dialog from hunters about our rights and what we plan to DO about asserting ourselves into the political scene.

Here's a list of things that really piss me off (please feel free to add your own items):

1. It never sat well with me that the DFG shortened the A22 season several years back and never gave us a decent explanation as to why. My favorite time of year to hunt deer is in January when the holidays are over, work tends to be slower and the bucks tend to be out more during the daylight due to the cold temps and shorter days.
2. Why is the County of San Diego and the State of California buying up huge tracts of private land and than closing it off to all hunting. That is BS right there and it needs to stop. That's why hunting is less popular. There's no where to hunt. We need to organize and fight back. Just because we are a minority doesn't mean we can't make a big stink for the jerk-off politicians. Let me ask you, how many of you have written a letter or visited a county supervisor, congressman or senator in the last ten years?
3. Why is it illegal to carry a firearm during bow season when the threat of being robbed by growers or coyotes (2 legs) is greater than it ever has been.
4. Why do hunters have to pay for a Wilderness Pass to hunt on public land when we already pay for a hunting lic., deer tag, upland game stamp, vehicle reg., state ffl reg., etc..... . What are our taxes for?
5. Why are hunters left to guess about how to access public lands (from cheesy USFS maps) mostly surrounded by private land then are treated like criminals when they find a spot that is tight but legal.
6. Why are there no public places where hunters can target shoot? The cities and counties put on public events and festivals all the time and send public sanitation workers to clean up the mess. Why are shooters treated so differently? (Not advocating that we don't pick up after ourselves, just pointing out the unfair bias.)
7. Charge me for pig tags with your right hand and attempt to eradicate pigs with your left? What the hell is going on here?
8. Why are most county lakes closed off to duck hunting? Who is responsible for that decision?
9. Lions...there's tons of them, but the anti's think they're endangered. Its BS. We should be out hunting them right freaking now. How do we change that?
10. State trappers. Why is the state paying $100,000 of thousands of dollars in this county to trap yotes, lions, pigs, etc... when the private sector will do it for free. Can't some genius come up with a program to make that work. It could be like the retirees doing the volunteer police patrols. No reason we can't do that with hunters. Or is the state so loaded with cash that it can afford to pay for everything?
11. I can't have an unsheathed firearm in my vehicle..or can I? Which is it? Why?
12. Why does the DFG have the right to enter my house or vehicle without a search warrant? Isn't that covered in the constitution?
13. Whose the rocket scientist that decides 500 doe tags are all that's needed to balance the deer herd in the D16?
14. Why can't hunters use scents, lures or baits to hunt bears and pigs in this state. State trappers do?
15. Why all the broadhead restrictions? Don't they have anything better to do with their time...like catch poachers?
16. Shouldn't junior hunters have more special seasons to attract more to the sport?

I'm just saying....

TA

WOW TA! Look at you go, good job, I love talking about politics, I can answer all your questions with one answer.....The peoples republic of California!!!!!

Everything you posted and many more issues you didn't , is why I'm looking to move to a "RED" state like Idaho.

I must add that I did send an email to the guy in charge of the pig eradication plan at USFS and talked to him on the phone, trust me he got an ear full from me.

In close, Liberalism is a brain disorder, so VOTE!

P.S. I hope I don't regret this post

TopBuck said:
WOW TA! Look at you go, good job, I love talking about politics, I can answer all your questions with one answer.....The peoples republic of California!!!!!

Everything you posted and many more issues you didn't , is why I'm looking to move to a "RED" state like Idaho.

I must add that I did send an email to the guy in charge of the pig eradication plan at USFS and talked to him on the phone, trust me he got an ear full from me.

In close, Liberalism is a brain disorder, so VOTE!

P.S. I hope I don't regret this post

I've lived in SD all my life. Its been hard to watch it swing to the left. Several years back my buddies at Buck Knives pulled up stakes and moved to Idaho and haven't looked back. Maybe that's the answer I just have a hard time giving it up to the tree huggers and antis. I guess defeat is an option?

Glad to hear you chewed on the forestry guys. Greenhorns all!

You may regret the post but I doubt it. No one seems to really care.

We all hunt, fish, and love the outdoors, so I believe we're all on the same page here.

Im not sure if i understand the DFG funding properly. It is my understanding that they receive most of their funding (and i say most because i recently heard that Humane Society gave them a donation) from hunting and fishing licenses plus all the taxes we are charged on ammunition etc. If this is the case then why do they not fight for hunters and fishing rights? it would be in their best interest to keep their jobs. take the MLPA for example shutting down accessible fishing on unfounded science. Or is it that they know we will still buy hunting and fishing license even if there is no place to go?
Also from what i see the anti groups are not larger than the hunting and fishing group they are just more vocal (the squeaky wheel gets the grease) They run adds on billboards and magazines. They also search for the worst of the hunting and fishing community and put this on display without making making people aware of the difference between a hunter and a poacher. Wouldn't it be nice to see a billboard over the 5 fwy that showed how the humane society would rather euthanize a dog than give it to someone that would train it to be a bird dog? Most people with bird dogs i know treat their dogs better than most people are treated.
My dad talks about this all the time in the 80's he and i would go hunting 2-3 times a week, he was an avid hunter and fisherman. Then hunting started to come under serious attack, he was very involved with local hunting groups at the time and they pleaded with the fishing community to back them up, because he felt the antis wouldn't stop there they would go after fishing next. then all the new legislature came into effect and all of his old hunting grounds were closing down and became track homes (most sitting empty right now by the way). He became so frustrated with this he sold his gun and vowed to never buy another hunting license. That was also the last time i was able to hunt until i became and adult and had children of my own (im a little more stubborn than him). The guy that runs the archery shop i go to was telling me the other day that he and his son went Quail hunting on public land in corona, someone called the police and said there were men with guns out so the police showed up pointed their assault rifles at them and ordered them to the ground. After checking his hunting license and the fact that he had birds in his vest the police finally acknowledged that he was hunting and within the law. to me these scenarios are ridiculous. The DFG starving for funding in a down economy should be all over this type of thing and fighting for our right to hunt on public land. Sorry for the rant but this topic burns me up.

I may be one of the majority but I have contacted my representatives and others in the state to voice my opinions. Lots of great points TA.

The only thing the DFG can do is enforce the laws that are in place. They have no control over what or where we can hunt for the most part. Everything has to be approved by state & county supervisors or legistrators. Does not matter if it is seasons or the game we hunt.
As for our hunting dollars most of it is now taken by the states' general fund, and what little that goes to improving hunting & fishing is used up north. We in the southern part of the state are just a cash cow for funds to be spent else where.
As for Mt. lions they could add a bill as an ademdum to another bill and have the governor sign it to approve hunting. They just don't want you to know they can do that.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu