License Question

ladiver

May 11, 2014
Yorba Linda, CA
I just took my Hunter Safety course and passed. I have not picked up a license yet. I see that the hunting license is valid from July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015. The application deadline for deer tags is June 2nd. I assume I must have a 2013-2014 license to apply for a 2014-2015 deer tag?

Basically, as I think I understand it...I need to buy a license now (2013-2014 $46.44), apply for deer tags before June 2 ($30.81 + $38.06) then buy another license (2014-2015 $46.44) after July 1. Does this sound right? I just would hate to waste $46 dollars if I could purchase next years license and tags now.

Thanks,

Jeff

You can purchase a 2014/2015 license when you log into the online system and select your tags for 2014/2015 at the same time. Shouldn't have to buy this years but your hunter education number must be listed before you can buy. Otherwise just go to a local retailer with your card and do it in person.

yes you can walk in to any license agent and buy a license for next year. Then apply at the same time or later for the tags.

ladiver said:
Thanks,

Off to a retailer I will go! The plan is to get Preference Points and then a D15, D16 or D19 tag.
That's a safe plan. You can also go to the local HQ of DFW on Ruffin Rd to enter the draw. They are pretty good ( getting better) answering questions.

Sent via Tapatalk

i wouldnt buy the 2013/2014 it will be no good soon and the only thing you could hunt on it would be coyotes , i would just purchase one lincense the one you need the 2014/2015 and save the rest of the money

OK, so I went to pick up a license at Big 5. Everything was fine until I told them my first choice is Preference Points and second choice was D15. They said D15 was not available, only D12, D16 and D17 were available. Now I am confused. How do I get the D15 tag if it is not available? I thought this was a zone that was an over the counter tag.

Thanks,

Jeff

ladiver said:
OK, so I went to pick up a license at Big 5. Everything was fine until I told them my first choice is Preference Points and second choice was D15. They said D15 was not available, only D12, D16 and D17 were available. Now I am confused. How do I get the D15 tag if it is not available? I thought this was a zone that was an over the counter tag.

Thanks,

Jeff

Miss communication. The D12-16-17 are all draw tags.
The D15 is available over the counter. I would be very surprised to find out that they sold them out already. Ask them to look in the computer and tell you how many are left.

I called DFG and they said that D15 was definitely available. As of this morning, there were over 1400 D15 tags available. The nice guy at the Los Alamitos office told me to go back to Big 5 and have them fix it, or just go in on July 2 and get my D15 tag. My concern was that if Big 5 could not "find" D15 now, how would they ever find it in the future.

I went back to ask them to fix it. Spoke with someone different this time. The result was about the same. He could not find it, for the initial tag. He was able to see D15 for the second tag. I asked him to call DFG, so sure enough after almost 20 minutes on the phone, it was DFG that fixed my drawing ticket to show preference points, then D15. All is good now. Just have to start searching for a good location in D15 and a hunting mentor.

Jeff

they dont know what they are doing , I once went to a big 5 to apply for the drawing and they had no clue what they were doing so I ended up stepping behind the counter and filling out my own info . I would just go some where else

From now on, I will just do it online. Since this was my first hunting license, I had to do it in person.

Now I need to continue figuring out what to do now???

I know I applied for a D15 Deer tag, but is it a Buck tag? Are there minimum size (points on rack)? I know better than to shoot young ones, but what is the best way to identify a legal deer? Better yet, what constitutes a legal deer while hunting D15 Oct 11 - Nov 9? Sorry for the very NEWB question.

Jeff

§351. Forked-Horn Buck, Antlerless and Either-Sex Deer Defined.

(a) Forked-Horn Buck Defined. For the purpose of these regulations a forked-horn buck is defined as a male deer having a branched antler on either side with the branch in the upper two-thirds of the antler. Eyeguards or other bony projections on the lower one-third of the antler shall not be considered as points or branches.
(b) Antlerless Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, antlerless deer are defined as female deer, fawns of either sex other than spotted fawns, and male deer with an unbranched antler on one or both sides which is not more than three inches in length.
(c) Either-Sex Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, either-sex deer are defined as antlerless deer as described in Section 351 (b), or legal bucks that have two or more points in the upper two-thirds of either antler. Spike bucks may not be taken.

It's a good idea to get the best binos that you can afford to help identify the antlers on a buck to see if it's legal or not..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu