Lobster/Crab - Hoop Netting trip

IVhunter

Dec 24, 2020
Howdy Guys,
Found an open spot (Oct. 26th) and booked it! Every year I see and want to go so I went for it YOLO (you only live once). It's all about the experience for me and getting out on the water, anything that comes extra will be a bonus. This will be my first ever hooping trip. So with that said what should I expect? Looks like only 10 spots per boat are sold. Something about hoops $20-25 bucks? Should I take any special bait with me? Thanks for any info/tips.

you get a number 1-10 when your number is up you pull that net anything legal you keep. they bait and do everything but pull the net for you.
you can buy more than one net but you pay full price for it. good luck

Reactions: IVhunter
Bring your rain gear and gloves I use water sking gloves. That salt water will tear your skin off.
Good luck!

Howdy Guys,
Found an open spot (Oct. 26th) and booked it! Every year I see and want to go so I went for it YOLO (you only live once). It's all about the experience for me and getting out on the water, anything that comes extra will be a bonus. This will be my first ever hooping trip. So with that said what should I expect? Looks like only 10 spots per boat are sold. Something about hoops $20-25 bucks? Should I take any special bait with me? Thanks for any info/tips.
kool I never have done that on a party boat

If there are ten customers you won’t be able to buy an additional net because the law is only ten nets per boat, even if the boat is 80 feet long. Good luck, I hope you score!

I wear waders and a waterproof jacket. When you’re done for the night, your completely dry. I like gloves with rubber, that way you get a good grip of the line while pulling. Those party boats will do everything for you except pull. Have fun and good luck.

Reporting back... Well it was just about what you guys said it would be. Gloves worked great MJB, Thank You for that tip. They basically do everything for you but pull the hoop up as mentioned above. Even though I didn't pull up any legal bugs, I had a blast. Learned a thing or two for sure. I'll be back to try it again and bring the kiddo with me. Great views and had a cool group with me. Met an older gentleman that is interested in hunting, I'll help him as much as I can to get him going. Here are a few pics I got.... and like most trips i have taken, the night before they had just about limits :)

Attachments

• 65707292655__0B8A5521-1BBF-4D7C-8E31-BBB3A6065CBE.JPG
    65707292655__0B8A5521-1BBF-4D7C-8E31-BBB3A6065CBE.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0221.PNG
    IMG_0221.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    476.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 16
Getting boat limits on a 10 passenger local lobster trip is virtually unheard of. Glad you had fun. You can see why some of us are really into it. If you can hook up with someone in SD with a small boat you guys could do some damage in that big bay.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu