Local Goose Hunting

8SteelTown

Anyone throw a bone out there regarding local So Cal goose hunting. The regs say "white" and "dark" goose but don't list any other specifics. I know with waterfowl, there are varying species that are all legal to hunt so didn't know what made up white and dark geese. A few of my local hunting spots get flocks of geese that fly overhead going to/from feed fields and watering holes and sometimes pass within 50-60 yards overhead (I wouldn't skybust geese obviously). You can hear them honking so I know they're honkers. Beyond knowing what a typical goose looks like, are there enough species that I need to be doing research?

Light geese usually mean snows, blues and Ross. Dark geese are the Canadians. I too would like to know where the specs fall into though. They are probably dark geese here because the light geese have larger bag limits due to overpopulation.

Speckled bellied/Specs (white-fronted geese) are considered a dark goose...... ;D

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    586.2 KB · Views: 21
Hi my name is Dale. I have 30 goose decoys 3 floaters, 3 flyers , and 24 half shells ( Flocked heads ,tails ), 4 calls , 50 corn cobb decoys , should make a good spread , going to get some flags , and a Avery ground blind . I'm new to the sport but I have hunted upland for years

dhntr48 said:
Hi my name is Dale. I have 30 goose decoys 3 floaters, 3 flyers , and 24 half shells ( Flocked heads ,tails ), 4 calls , 50 corn cobb decoys , should make a good spread , going to get some flags , and a Avery ground blind . I'm new to the sport but I have hunted upland for years

Dale, not sure if you're new to online forums or not. As nice as I can explain: "Thread Jacking" is when someone has a thread on one topic and another person comes in and changes the topic without contributing to the original subject. It happens. However, you already posted this information on another thread which makes this come off as desperate. Common courtesy dictates you go to the "Newbie" thread and introduce yourself. As it stands, we're 2 weeks from the start of the season and none of your posts indicate you've put in your due diligence besides looking into hunting a refuge. Take a few hours and read the information that's been discussed. Wouldn't want you to get busted hunting a refuge with too many shells, lead shells, parking in the wrong locations, etc.

Good luck to you and I hope you're able to get on the waterfowl this year.

Well I printed a color ID sheet with all the birds about five years ago . Regs explain the dark geese issue . but had issues with it also, Found a spot where I see geese , every time I go there . will hunt there this year .! Didn't want to post location here thou . Thought I would plant some seeds . Been looking into the sport for many years . Just don't know any one who hunts geese or duck. Had six guys flake on me over the past few years , two this month !! Just trying to sound serious about it . But you have my apology

8SteelTown said:
dhntr48 said:

Dale, not sure if you're new to online forums or not. As nice as I can explain: "Thread Jacking" is when someone has a thread on one topic and another person comes in and changes the topic without contributing to the original subject. It happens. However, you already posted this information on another thread which makes this come off as desperate. Common courtesy dictates you go to the "Newbie" thread and introduce yourself. As it stands, we're 2 weeks from the start of the season and none of your posts indicate you've put in your due diligence besides looking into hunting a refuge. Take a few hours and read the information that's been discussed. Wouldn't want you to get busted hunting a refuge with too many shells, lead shells, parking in the wrong locations, etc.

Good luck to you and I hope you're able to get on the waterfowl this year.

Easy on the Grasshopper! I could have easily busted your chops on some of your early duck hunting posts...ruddy killer!

Oooops, sorry for the jacking the jacked thread :-*

8SteelTown said:
Take a few hours and read the information that's been discussed.

.... you could have also done this to find out the difference between white and darks....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If I was going "goose hunting" I may spend the time to research all about them. I did a quick SCH search and parused the topics and didn't find anything. I don't want to spend hours researching them. Since I see them fly over 3 out of 50 hunting trips, I'm not overly concerned about knowing about them. I will when the time comes. ADS Tax Shop answered my question and it took him 5 seconds to give me the answer to my question. Exactly enough of what I need.

Last year, my second duck ever was a ruddy and a dude grabbed my bird and said nice cinny. I posted from the field and went with what he said. Yes, you're right... I went duck hunting without the ability to identify every duck type. I caught crap crap from a couple people for it. 1 thing is for certain, I know now. Some people learn by research, some by doing. I'm normally the former but got into jump shooting last year and learned by experience first and research as I went along. If I dropped a bird, I id'd it before shooting another bird. Some of the SH members helped me with ID'ing but that and the mis-id on that and a ring neck is hardly the same.

Yes, I was a dik in my response. I DO apologize for that. For those of you who know me, you know I'm far from it. Sorry to Dale for taking my bad day and knee jerk reaction out on him.

It's all good guys......I once had 2 young hunters bring me 14 grebes at the Wister check station.... :-\....Told them I'd take the birds and for them to go buy a bird ID book (doubt if that would happen these days)....Ruddys are OK....... ;)

Just another note and it happens every year.....Snow geese are NOT legal the 1st 2 weeks in SoCal.....Wister will undoubtedly have some..... :p

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu