Long range hunting?

TaftHunter

I hunt a lot
Nov 17, 2012
Taft
What caliber do you guys think is most accurate for big game long range hunting? I want to get comfortable shooting to at least 600 yards before A zone starts up. And anyone have any loads worked up for that distance?

The most important caliber is your knowledge and ability to learn and use your skill to shoot at extended distances. I read some of these threads and I am concerned that a lot of folks are thinking that they can go out and buy some equipment and harvest animals at extended ranges just because they bought a big heavy rifle with optics. I would say to all of you that think that way is take and test your skills. I've met VERY few people in my life that can shoot beyond 500 yards. My best suggestion is prove to yourselves that you have the skills BEFORE you spend money on something that you have no trained and practiced skill to use.

I like that snake charmer. Taft this isn't aimed at u.

NO YOUR LIMMITS. Don't go wounding animals. If u don't know u can kill it don't touch the trigger

Thanks guys. Yes I do know my limits 65 yards for bow, 300 for rifle as of now. I have a private range up to 1000 yards along with 500 7 mag bullets coming so trust me I will do a little practice before I actually take aim at an animal.

7mag, IMO is a good caliber for reaching out that far, fast and flat. I have a Savage 110 in 7mag and I am currently going through the development stages of finding the perfect combo with my bullets of choice,and powder. You will need to do a few things to the platform you are using,(good stock, bedding your action, free floating the barrel, etc. etc.) there is nothing wrong with extending your range and you don't have to be a competitor. I love the satisfaction of combining the right components to get a desired result. Just do a lot of reading about,( ballistics. powder, bullets, case prep) and get a good understanding of your setup and components limitations. Get yourself a GOOD Chronograph they are cheap enough and will eliminate the guess work.

Thanks! I'm looking at the savage 11 long range hunter, I'm not sure if I will have to do anything to it? My cousin is real good at working loads up so when get my gun and everything he will help me out with that and he has a chrony

Just keep in mind every gun has its own bullet, powder charge combo it likes best, that whats fun about reloading, finding that perfect recipe.

I'm a beliver in Weatherby's magnums for 600yds, flat, and hard hitting down range.

A lot of practice man! I can hit 600 yards all day, but I'd never take a 600 yard shot at An animal

From my own experience the best start is to start with what you have to practice your marksmanship before going out and dumping a bunch of money. When I got into shooting long range for just target practice I started with a simple model 700 in a .308 with a inexpensive Nikon scope. I learned from going out to a safe area where I could shoot out to 600yrds and worked on my bullet drop calculations with my iPhone, paper and pencil and a friend with a spotting scope. Oh and a bunch of rounds. Took me awhile but in pretty comfortable with my rifles out to 550ish depending on what I'm shooting. One of these days I will make enough money on a expensive 338.

Hey taft. I shool a short action customs in 300 Weatherby mag. It's a flat shooting cannon of a round. A 180 grain at 3950 f's takes a lot of guess work out of the equation. I can comfortably shoot game out to 500 now. Here's my opinion with such a large caliber and those ballistics even sub standard shots WILL put um down. If I can pop a 2 liter at 700+ then game at 500 plus is no thing. I made a bad shot on a coyote deer season and hit rear quarters. There was literally no way that dog was running away. It was brutal. If you want a buffer for long range go big like 300 or 338. Weatherby rounds are pumped up and mean. They are devastating to say the least. My buck this year was 386 and I used 3006. Made a OK frontal chest shot and blew a 50 cent sized whole in his brisket and blew out his back leg. He still required a follow up. I've done similar with the Weatherby and no follow up was needed. Just devastating terminal impact from the larger round. Only think is range time get painful and expensive. Go big or get close is my belief and like you taft am of the younger generation not so set in our ways and willing to push limits and explore a bit. Optics are key. Buy great and your shooting will be none the less. I went huskama. They're great and the custom turrets are spot on. Look them up its what best of the west uses and I love mine. Contact John or darryl from my experience very few know anywhere near as much as far as ballistics and load ability. Darryl shot that group before deer season that was stellar. If I remember 600 yes average of something ridiculous like .585 . Maybe it was 5.85. Either way plenty effective for a 338. Nothing will survive that kind of terminal impact . Jmho. Good luck taft you better get a second job your in for a long haul.

Thank you for that info! I'm still think on it, I really want a 300 but I like 7 mag cause that's what my dad shoots and I have 500 bullets and like 100 brass. But for now I'm gonna hold out for a couple months get some money saved up and go on from there

wackums back said:
Hey taft. I shoot a short action customs in 300 Weatherby mag.

Ok, I will bite...how does a 300 Weatherby Magnum cartridge fit into a short action? ???

Wackum says a 300 Weatherby with a 180 at 3950 ? WOW I own one and none of my main stream reloading manual's even comes close to that, please post the link to the data. I'd like to see it. Short action ?

I was wondering the same thing until I checked out short action customs, looks like they work on lA rifles also. All their rifles are based off of either a model 700 or a Howa but I'm guessing maybe he sent his march V to them for work? ( not a whole lot of improving on a Mark v). The fps sounds a bit exaggerated IMHO, even with that mag load pushing a 180gr.

in my younger days, I practice at 100, 300, & 500 yards with standard loads over the counter silvertip & lok core(spelling) 150 grains 308.
most of my kill shots were at 100 yards or less. with a cheap o mossberg & 3-9 x 40 bushnell . of course my eyesight was good then.

longbowhunter2 said:
in my younger days, I practice at 100, 300, & 500 yards with standard loads over the counter silvertip & lok core(spelling) 150 grains 308.
most of my kill shots were at 100 yards or less. with a cheap o mossberg & 3-9 x 40 bushnell . of course my eyesight was good then.
Haha that's what I'm worried about, spending all this time and money shooting 500+ and end up getting nothing but 100 yard shots lol

He builds long actions as well just specializes in short. It's a 700 custom.typo on fps 2950 180 great npt over 75..5 graint Imr 4350. We all have our preference and I like cannons. The gun is flat fast and reliable. Expensive as all get up but sure puts a hurting on whatever it makes contact with. If you've never shot the 300 Weatherby don't nock it till you try it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu