Long range hunting?

I have shot 7mm mag & others, and I was not knocking it. all great rounds. powerful as all hell.
and I may buy one down the road. just to tinker with. to each his own that's all.

wackums back said:
He builds long actions as well just specializes in short. It's a 700 custom.typo on fps 2950 180 great npt over 75..5 graint Imr 4350. We all have our preference and I like cannons. The gun is flat fast and reliable. Expensive as all get up but sure puts a hurting on whatever it makes contact with. If you've never shot the 300 Weatherby don't nock it till you try it.

Hey Tyler did you have them re barrel your rifle? If so what was the turn around time?

What's re-barrel? I don't think Iv ever heard of that?

No sir I won it through a raffle supporting jr shooting team from utah. I bought 3 of 500 tickets and luck was on my side. Short action customs builds fabulous rifles I highly recommend them. They're working on a 7 mm Wsm for me right now for a bench rest comp gun and I'm sure they won't disapoint. Not cheap but quality work. My 300 has a custom spiral action and manors stock with a beggar a bull barrel. It socks to pack at 19 lbs .not exactly a field gun but accurate as all get up. I've only put 50 Rd through her but with blue printed rounds I shot 2.5 inch groups at 300 of the bench at south bay. My buddy just had another guy build him a 30-378 weatherby field gun out of a browning similar to yours and he's saying sub moa at 500. I'll find out that Smith name and pm you. Is there a new toy in your future?

Wildcats=expensive. My friends dad is shooting 1000 yard comp in montana. He's been working on dasher 6 loads for over a year. Fire forming brass does not look fun at all. He's packing them with cream of wheat to fire form and is getting phenomenal results but he's retired with deepened pockets. I know that's your thing darryl I'll try to find that smiths name for you.

I've only had shots out to 600 yards to test my Nikon BDC app. Pretty gnarly hitting a little target. Never realized how hard those long shots are.

http://youtu.be/a0vfp2utuGA

I haven't found my long gun yet but my brother has been having some great target success with his stiler 300 RUM @800yds. I may go with a 338 lapua mainly because it carries better in a windy situation. There's a butt ton of factors that come into play which I'm sure you already know. However, when you got heaters for your rounds, notebook full of physics calculations, match grade Berger bullets with various powders and time you end up with a lot of confidence behind the glass.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu