long range rifles

• Thread starter wackum stackum mackum
  • Start date
W

wackum stackum mackum

So who's got some info on someone local who can build me a sub moa long range rifle. I've been watching best of the west and choose your weapon and boy let me tell ya these guys got it going on. I've researched all the big companies... McMillan,red rock, gemtech,his precion but these guys are rediculously priced . Who has 7500 dollars for a raw gun not me. Anyways I'm totally interested in a new challenge of perfecting the art of super long range marksmanship I mean 800 plus yards and over . Is there anyone who does complete builds in san Diego.

Wackum, you may want to look at the Sako TRG-42 rifle. You would be hard pressed to build a better rifle for the money. They are about $4K for the .338 Lapua and worth every penny. Fine Firearms has one in stock.

With that said, there are many long range calibers to discuss as well. I did not answer your question (simply put - I don't know of any local builders) but at the end of the day, the long rang game isn't cheap. First focal plane scopes and the correct mounting systems along with real range-finders have there own cost.

In a nut shell, the long range hunting rigs are nothing less than "F" class bench guns being toted around the field. Long range accuracy is hard to produce.

The current "F" class world record was broken with an old cartridge shot out of an amazing gun. The name of the gun was "Purple Haze" and the cartridge was a .284 Winchester. Charles Ballard broke a new 1000-yard, single-target F-Class National Record (200-13X) with his "Purple Haze". The article is posted in the link below. It is a good read and will open your eyes regarding long range accuracy. And back to my original statement - Take a look at the Sako TRG-42 rifle. The pictures are of the TRG-42 we took on this last years New Mexico elk hunt. The Sako's are no less than amazing rifles.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek088.html

Attachments

• TRG1.png
    TRG1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • TRG2.png
    TRG2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
  • TRG3.png
    TRG3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 49

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu