Long range shooting/dope charts help, newbie with scoped rifles.

Birddognate4

Feb 18, 2024
Hello all! I was curious to see if there’s a some local guys or groups that help newer hunters with scoped rifles and sighting in, creating dope charts. I’ve bow hunted bear, and duck hunted but am new to scopes.

I will be going to my somewhat local range (lyttle creek) this weekend if anyone is local to there and willing to help myself and a good friend out.

We have watched YouTube but you can only get so far. Thank you !

Bore sight it first, get close to the target, start at 25, 50 75 then 100 yards, what is distance you want to shoot
Big game, and what will you be after. I start at 50 , then straight 100 yards when sighting in a new scope.
the sighting in will depend on the distance one feels at hitting at the target. I am very comfortable at or was 0-300 yards. My eye getting worn. Lol

One issue never rely on and never do it, validate the target with a scope, use binoculars. Make sure of the target. And always keep an eye out for other hunters and what they are doing.
I been shot at because he saw movement.

Reactions: skeet
One issue never rely on and never do it, validate the target with a scope, use binoculars. Make sure of the target. And always keep an eye out for other hunters and what they are doing.
I been shot at because he saw movement.
Thanks for all that! Will do that. Will only be taking clear, broadside ethical shots. Mainly deer. Would love to eventually be able to shoot far, use of dope charts etc.

Get a flat hat...it's works,!! Trust me.

Make sure to have a solid rest when sighting in you should be testing the gun at this point not yourself. At a minimum a good bipod and a rear bag. Leave the pillows/ lead sleds or any other gimmicks at home.

Reactions: Bowman
I'll make it real simple. Check out a few videos by Ryan Cleckner. He was a sniper team lead and now instructs everything from mounting scopes to long range shooting. He has a great video about understanding MOA.

Hello all! I was curious to see if there’s a some local guys or groups that help newer hunters with scoped rifles and sighting in, creating dope charts. I’ve bow hunted bear, and duck hunted but am new to scopes.

I will be going to my somewhat local range (lyttle creek) this weekend if anyone is local to there and willing to help myself and a good friend out.

We have watched YouTube but you can only get so far. Thank you !
What range are you looking to get dope cards for? If your only going out to around 400-500 yards you can do it the old fashioned way and shoot and get hard data. Once you start going farther out other factors start to take play that will make your data change based on elevation, temperature, DA, direction of fire, angle of fire, humidity. Then you will want some sort of ballistic calculator.

If you just want to go to say 400 you would start by getting a solid zero at 100 yards. Then shoot at desired ranges and dial the scope till you hit the center of the target. Then log that data.

Also keep in mind that if you change ammo and often different lot nunbers of the same ammo your data will most likely change. So you data cards would only apply to a singke lot of a specific ammo.

What range are you looking to get dope cards for? If your only going out to around 400-500 yards you can do it the old fashioned way and shoot and get hard data. Once you start going farther out other factors start to take play that will make your data change based on elevation, temperature, DA, direction of fire, angle of fire, humidity. Then you will want some sort of ballistic calculator.

If you just want to go to say 400 you would start by getting a solid zero at 100 yards. Then shoot at desired ranges and dial the scope till you hit the center of the target. Then log that data.

Also keep in mind that if you change ammo and often different lot nunbers of the same ammo your data will most likely change. So you data cards would only apply to a singke lot of a specific ammo.
Thank you so much I’ll do that! Yes only wanting to shoot about 400 for deer. Won’t take anything longer until I get way more practice.

Reactions: punkur67

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu