Long Successful Day

Moe Terboat

Jan 21, 2014
Sorry to hear about all the bad experiences today.

The day started out depressing to say the least. I get a text early morning from Matagi letting me know that all the Toms are now roosting on the private property next to where I was hunting. Needless to say I followed the same plan and hope that the Toms would walk up the hill and I could catch them making there way across the open field.

I started making yelps to see if I could get something but nothing. Few hours go by, it was 930 at this point, and I decided to move a little down hill to get a better visual of the private property. Just as I get to my new spot I see a Tom running up the hill right where I was just set up. Not one gobble he just came running in. I tried making my way up the hill and make some clucks and purrs but he didn't seem bothered by it. He was going up and over the hill (Matagi he went right into the area you were assisting later on).

So I decided to stay but at the top of the hill. I made a few more yelps and was finally getting some gobbles (around 1030am). After two hours of back and forth calling I decided to work my way down the hill again, calling along the way. The Tom did not want to leave that private property. I finally got about 400 yards or so away from his gobbles and set up. It took a hour of non stop clucks and purrs to finally break this Tom and once he decided to come in he moved quick.

I was set up right behind a big tree that I could barely see through, about 20 yards in front of me. As soon as I saw some movement I put down my call and got my gun ready. What a beautiful site at the end of your barrel!

I got my bird right around the 2 oclock mark. It pays to be the hunter that sticks around all day rather than leaving once it gets hot out.

Good luck tomorrow!

Attachments

• Turkey.jpg
    Turkey.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 171
Great stuff. Persistence and smart hunting. Sounds like you earned that turkey!

Sent via Tapatalk

Hell of a post Moe Terboat. Thanks for sharing the story and congratulations on a plan well done!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu