Looking for a new rifle?

Larry Cochran

Utah Buck 2010
Jan 8, 2011
Alpine, Ca
I am interested in purchasing a new rifle for hunting big game. I am interested in the 308 or a 300 min mag. Are there any advantages from one to the other? Let me know? I am looking to spend around $600 to $800 on the rifle. Can anyone reccomend a local San Diego dealer? Thanks for the advice.

Larry Cochran

Hi Larry,

Both are great 30 caliber cartridges and both will more than manage all North American game less Alaskan bears. Both cartridges are true 400-yard killers as well. Now here is where there are differences:

The .308 Winchester is arguably one of the most versatile cartridges ever developed. It is inherently a more accurate cartridge than the 300. The .308 is built on a short action allowing for a lighter and more compact rifle if desired. The .308 has quite a bit less recoil than its big brothers (about 18 foot-pounds in a 7.5 pound rifle), its easier and cheaper to hand-load, the ammo is more available throughout the country and the world for that matter. In my opinion, it’s one of the best North American hunting calibers available.

Both my son and I have killed quite a few elk with a .308 as well as deer and pigs. It dispatches game with amazing efficiency.

The 300 Win Mag is a proven 30-caliber magnum and over the years it has become the most widely used 30-caliber magnum in its class of cartridges. It was introduced in 1963 and has become one of the more popular elk rifles in the field. It is accurate and has a good bullet selection. The ammo is easy to find as well. Rifles for this cartridge are built on a magnum action.

The 300 Win Mag produces about 26 foot-pounds of recoil out of an 8 pound gun. While this is not unmanageable, too some folks it is uncomfortable at best. The rifle will need a minimum of a 24” barrel due to the amount of powder the cartridge uses (typically about 75 grains of powder). Like any magnum, the cartridge shines beyond 400 yards and shoots the heavier bullets more efficiently than standard cartridges of the same caliber.

Now here is an opinion based on facts:

If you are hell bent on a magnum in .30 caliber, take a look at the Winchester 300WSM. It is more accurate (due to the shorter and fatter powder column) than the 300 Win Mag, it comes in a short action and it is ballistically equal to the 300 Win Mag. The 300 WSM is very quickly gaining popularity in the 30-caliber magnum class (most likely will eclipse the 300 Win Mag over time) and it has slightly less recoil. Another feature that is very positive with the 300WSM is that it is head-spaced on the shoulder. The 300 Win Mag is a belted magnum and is head-spaced on the belt which overall is a weaker design. I personally have shot over a half dozen elk with the 300WSM and can tell you it is an absolute lightning rod.

There you have it – my two cents

As far as gun dealers, I would take a ride to La Mesa and visit Finefirearms http://gunssandiego.com/. They are also an SCH sponsor and have a knowledgeable staff too.

Also if you can – don’t scrimp on mounts and scope. They can make or break a hunt.

Good luck!

These are my express opinions derived from my experiences - I know less than most and half as much as some!

John,

Do you know if they take guins in trade there? I have a few I would like to off load toward the purchase of a new one.

Thanks,
Larry C.

Yes they do. They also do consignment. Are you going to let us know what you are going to sell? Maybe someone on the board might be able to help your cause! ;)

I have a chinese made SKS that shoots the 7.62x39 round and also a Winchester 94 Legacy 3030. I have shot about 200 rounds through the SKS and only about 30 rounds through the 3030. I am not sure of the value of each but would be open to trading for a new hunting rifle. I am looking for a 300wsm or something equal. Let me know who may be interested.

Thanks,
Larry C.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu