Looking for another dog

Agree with the training and breed selection comments posted here. First time training a dog and made tons of mistakes as a trainer but got the hang of it and the lab took up everything and then some and wants to please. Loves the hunt and the retrieve and delivers to hand willingly every bird he’s ever had in his mouth. Did a bunch of research and I’m glad I got him as a pup; I do think it made training much easier.

As for breed, He’s awesome in the water but I tend to hunt more upland and the only drawback is he runs out of gas after a few hours, if not less depending on conditions. If they could make a breed with the temperament of a lab and the stamina of a GSP it would be the best of both worlds.

Vizsla may be worth a hard look. I had one and he was a hell of a dog. Basically exactly what you're looking for but not quite as driven as a GSP and not quite as loving as a lab. There probably isn't a breed that is 100% in both those categories though.

If you want it all look towards NAVHDA and their recognized breeds. My first couple of picks if you want lab temperment and ponter drive is either a Small Munsterlander, Griffon or Pudelpointer. Go to a NAVHDA training day at one of the local training sites and interview the owners. Why have a retriever when you can have a dog that does it all ?

Reactions: Cast N Blast
There are 2 brothers of the puppy and a female cousin available in Jamul. I have the right colored other lab in the picture from the same kennel. My sons just got the fox red. The older one is a great dog in the blind and at home great nose and fine for my retrieves.

IMG_0324.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu