Looking for apprentice tag help!

Vdubpig

Oct 27, 2019
Hey guys,
I've been a lurker on here for a little while, amazed at how much info there is to soak up here.. I'm so new to hunting I have little to contribute, and enjoy learning from your guys' stories/advice to each other.

The long and short of it is, my son got an apprentice tag for D11 - it's an antlerless (either/or) tag. It's his first year deer hunting, as he is 12. This was my first year deer hunting as well, and I tried my hand in a different zone with a buddy - to no avail. Anyways, my son has a debilitating knee condition that makes hiking near impossible for him. We have done some driving, parking, short walk, glassing type scouting, and then got out and hiked a bit yesterday. After a half mile he was done from the pain. My son would be absolutely thrilled to harvest a doe, but so far our scouting has been less then promising because every place we go we are having to weigh the ability for him to hike/walk to where we need to be or to a spot that might allow better glassing. I'm hoping with some guys tagged out on their bucks, someone might be willing to point me to an area where they have seen does or sign, that he could handle walking/hiking to. Any pointers, no matter how vague (I wouldn't expect anyone to give up their spots), would be greatly appreciated. I have to give a shout out to Herson on here, tried to point me in the right direction but the terrain was pretty steep. If I don't get a response I don't blame a single one of you, as I don't expect it. We'll still get out and drive around and do our thing, and hopefully find an area that works out.

J

Have you looked into getting him a handicapped license. It would give you some more opportunities to get him to places he can hunt.
Ie shoot from your truck.

Have you looked into getting him a handicapped license. It would give you some more opportunities to get him to places he can hunt.
Ie shoot from your truck.
Never heard of that, and we're not quite there yet thank goodness. No official diagnosis on the cause of his pain, everything is pointing to autoimmune disorder (lupus, etc.) after countless tests and MRI's, xrays. We're still holding out hope it gets diagnosed so treatment might begin. He's certainly willing to put in the work most days in the field, but it's been really bad for him lately. If it's gentle rolling hills, etc., he'll tough through it - but just about everywhere we've scouted in the southern portion of D11 has been kinda steep.

Reactions: MAG 1
If you can pull a M7 either sex tag next year..1 or 2 points max..
I will hunt you with me in the D13 zone ...show up with tag and we will get him a deer ..on the house....Pm for details if this is something your interested in.

Generous offer Hatchet!
Vdubpig you need to take Hatchet up on this offer. Take some pics and post up your son's results.

Reactions: HATCHET1
It's too bad your son doesn't have the d14 apprentice tag, if he did I could definitely help you guys find a doe. Unfortunately I've never hunted D11, hopefully someone who knows the area will help you guys out!

Just wanted to say thank you for the responses on here. You guys rock.
PM sent Hatchet. Fingers crossed it goes well, and if anybody has any last minute ideas I'll take all the help I can get.

Reactions: rtowle
No idea who this hatchet fella is, but I know he posts a lot on here and apparently is loved by everyone. Can't wait to meet him!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

No idea who this hatchet fella is, but I know he posts a lot on here and apparently is loved by everyone. Can't wait to meet him!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Well..maybe not everyone..but i like to think most..LOL..got your Pm jason..may the draw God's be with you!!...ill take care of the rest.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu