Looking for D11 & 14 partner/guide

Mako

Oct 24, 2020
Greetings. I’m not new to hunting, but am new to big game hunting. I’ve had a long hiatus, but was an upland bird hunter for a long time. I purchased a rifle last year with the intent of going deer hunting for the first time.mits been a dream of mine that I’ve put off for too long.

I’m in my 40’s and am looking for someone to show me the ropes; mainly to help,and teach me how to skin, gut, quarter a deer if I’m lucky enough to bag one. I have to double check but I think these tags are good in areas D13 and 15 as well.

Let me know or point me in the right direction if you will.

Last edited:
I’m in my 40’s and am looking for someone to show me the ropes; mainly to help,and teach me how to skin, gut, quarter a deer if I’m lucky enough to bag one.
Find a Youtube video on gutless field dressing.. fairly straightforward. Get some game bags, a sharp knife or two, a pack big enough to haul some meat (and a head) and some patience in dealing with the meat bees if it's hot.

Reactions: sportyg
I would go if I were you. Two reasons one is closing weekend two weather is going to be nice for deer hunting
I went, but no luck. Saw a couple does, but no bucks. I got out too late in the season. That said, I just got my bear tag, so maybe I’ll still get something.

If you have a bow, get an A-32 tag next year. Long season and either sex. If you don’t have a bow, get one

Reactions: sportyg
If you have a bow, get an A-32 tag next year. Long season and either sex. If you don’t have a bow, get one
I'd love to bow hunt, unfortunately I have psoriatic arthritis, and it's particualrly bad in my left shoulder, so I think I'd have trouble with drawing a bow. I've heard that you can get an exeption from CDFW with a doctor's note and use a crossbow, so that may be something for me to look into.

I'd love to bow hunt, unfortunately I have psoriatic arthritis, and it's particualrly bad in my left shoulder, so I think I'd have trouble with drawing a bow. I've heard that you can get an exeption from CDFW with a doctor's note and use a crossbow, so that may be something for me to look into.

If you are right handed, you would draw with your right hand. A light compound might not bother you, and would be worth a try. There’s a good archery shop in Orange that I can’t remember the name of off the top of my head. When you have some time, and go see what they have to offer. If you can’t find a bow that doesn’t hurt, you could try for a medical exemption to use a crossbow.

The shop I was thinking of is Hi-tech archery in Orange.

Mako, that is correct, I have a friend who now uses a crossbow for the same reason. You will be able hunt with it during archery season as well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu