Looking for Examples on Video of folks who use Mouth Calls very successfully.

Yes, indeed, I'm very aware that there are those with a couple more decades on them still hunting! So we'll just see how long my body parts (joints) will hold out on me! RE: 50+ hunters, I just stated that you're not as likely going to find them in my line of work (Software), unfortunately. And then... having worked in isolation now for soo long... (since 2001) It just is what it is in terms of low number of acquaintences, especially that share my interests.

Last edited:
I made a call from a squeaky toy, I removed it from the toy hollowed out an a whitetail antler and epoxied the squeaker in it. I've called a lot of yotes in with it.

Hey Larry...I'm 80 and still out in the field calling critters. Got a nice bobcat the last week or so of December. (It's posted in the Varmint and Predator Hunting forum) If you are local to San Diego, get a hold of the San Diego County Varmint Callers (Google them). Great group with a LOT of expertise that they are all willing to share. I've been calling since the '50's and, like someone above said, almost anything works at one time or another. The best advice I can give you is to get out there and call. Get one of the major brand callers and you will be fine. I would suggest starting with a cottontail call. Start at a low volume and slowly increase. Use your hands cupped around the call and manipulate then to vary the sound. You want the sound to sound like a rabbit being torn to shreds. Vary the power in the sound, "grinding" your hands around the end of the call to make it sound like death is imminent. With a mouth call, call intermittently or you'll wear yourself out. Call for 30 seconds to a minute and then wait for one to three minutes before cutting loose again. Be sure you are camouflaged and well-concealed or backed up against a tree or something that breaks up your silhouette. When you see a coyote coming in (and you will) ...FREEZE. They will spot movement in an instant and be long gone. Move slowly only when they are not looking at you. You can't follow all those rules all the time, but do the best you can. I really suggest wearing a "kill suit" that you can get from AllPredatorCalls.com. They REALLY break up your silhouette. Good luck.

Thank You Sir. Yes, I do wear the Kill Suit Sapper suits when I go out for Varmints. Depending on the location, either the Woodland Green or the Desert one. It's done me real good for taking Rabbits, Ground Squirrels, and now Coyote and Bobcat.

I'd just like to grind thru more videos online where they are mouth-calling so that I can train my ears on what it's supposed to sound like.

Like one question I have is, do you attempt to make that 30 second calling session sound like the animal is petering out of strength and volume at the end of it? This is what I've been doing soo far since I figured it'd be logical that they'd become winded and weak-sounding towards the end of wailing session.

RE: blowing the calls - Wear yourself out indeed! It's surprising how much effort it is and how dried-out your mouth can get.

If I'm using mouth calls, will a motion decoy be on benefit? I'm asking because they obviously are very good at detecting *where* the sound is coming from, so that was something I was wondering. I suppose as long as you spot them and hush up with the calling when they are in visual range the motion decoy should help, right?

coyote get antsy when they come up on a call. damn things cant stand still. i use a mouth call when the yote is funning to the call. sometime they will run right over you. used a mouth call once and had a coyote jump over where i was sitting and land yards away haha.

just call... try to keep the wind at your face but dogs can come in from any angle. There is NO RIGHT WAY. no two rabbits sound the same.
in fact do not try to sound like every other caller, sound like you! and forget the camo its coyotes not ducks. jeans and a shirt with maybe a camo hat.
Legos can be complicated if you really want but you can also just stick them together...... try just sticking them together

Reactions: CazadorSuerte
I know, for sure, my concealment gear hides me from a coyotes vision (at least in the area I'm thinking about). As long as you hold still that is.

I was returning back to my sit this deer season after taking a piss about 25yds back from my sit (to make sure it's not in the wind flow by that Gulch), when I saw one bopping along down the trail my sit faces towards on the other side of the Gulch. Entering at 3 o'clock and proceeding up to about 10 o'clock where the trail line he was on reconnects after the opening I'm facing where two meadows criss-cross. I was in motion when I first noticed him, he hadn't seen me yet, so I held still while standing... a moment after that he had turned his head towards my direction with a brief pause, but it was a split-second after I had seen him first and become motionless with the leafy suit on. In the blink of an eye he was carrying back on about his merry way. No change to his chugging-along pace nor demeanor.

There was another time as well that same yote came in running more towards my direction, (I wasn't calling so figure something on the private property must have spooked him like their dog) he was like coming in from 12 o'clock and veering towards 7 o'clock off after crossing the gulch in front of me, into the direction that other criss-cross meadow flows into. For Shits and Giggles I tried using my coaxer call to see if I could get him to come back this way, but no dice on that one. He was running at a good clip when he stormed thru. There's no way he'd have run that direction if he knew I was there. And generally speaking the wind comes from like 9 o'clock and flows over to 3 o'clock at that spot, which is what works about it. And long story shorter, I can't have Does feeding at 25yds from me for long periods of time sitting in my Larger size Helinox style chair (at this same place the yote ran thru, and the same place the Bobcat sauntered thru) if that natural blind material that covers to about my knees, and the Leafy gear weren't working.

SIGH... it's gonna be a WHILE before I can do mouth calls again though :( My lungs are soo raw right now. I called into the Dr's office today pleading for help, she called in a Script for Prednisone and an Albuterol inhaler, so we can try to calm down what I'm sure is a buncha inflammation I got going on down in there from all this coughing to try to kick up the chunks of lung-butter hangin' around down in there. Man, all this coughing really really takes it out of ya. This is no joke. Anyone reading this, remember to be very thankful for being able to breathe without problems man. We take that for granted big time.

TOTALLY disagree with Aeon about camo. I had a yote spot me while he was at a dead run at an easy 500+ yards. I figured at that distance I was safe and did about a 45-degree turn to the right. He was GONE! Camo absolutely helps.

you can search my posts around the year 2014. i think @TaftHunter and i were on a mission to kill a big pile of yotes. Cant remember how many i got that year but it was over 15 or so. mostly jeans and shorts and tshirts. stop making this so hard.... its not that hard, go hunt and kill stuff

1579064062525.png
20130602_122512_zpsec3e4427.jpg

There was this time i shot a nice fork in a sweater and jeans
1579064136911.png

In high school I called in a coyote singing “jingle bells” at 3 pm in my school clothes. Smoked him at 50 yards with my 22-250. I’ve called in literally hundreds of coyotes and probably 1/3 with no camo on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
With or without camo I enjoy... the sport of it, the family tradition carrying on and the time spent with family or friends out in the field.... even a solo hunt Is awesome.

have fun guys and enjoy hunting in whatever way you know how to do it. With or without camo
#knowbodyhuntsthesameway

Some Sch’ers been uptight lately, is there some pecking order being established? Lol, jk. Stay safe guys

i am just glad ED was not a cop in my neighborhood. He would have been hunting me and i would be on the death rock

Reactions: BOWUNTR

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu