Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 18
Re: Lots a fog

Shit with duck season about to start you guys might have a shot at my seat :)

nice job guys but what's with all the camo?

Dog killin machine! Cool setting with the fog like that!

Ok we're still in the field we just called a lion in to 11 yards from josh slightly farther to me details later

Sdbirds said:
Ok we're still in the field we just called a lion in to 11 yards from josh slightly farther to me details later

Please say you have photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonny called me shortly after seeing the lion he was so jacked up. He was still trying to regain his composure
Hey Johnny you don't get excited like that with coyotes.

Sdbirds said:
Jeez another lion how many u seen this year

D16hunter said:
Sdbirds said:
Jeez another lion how many u seen this year

2 in two weeks but I'm tripping about it. Both were great looks. Before I saw one jump across a small dirt road at night from a car. Then 6 years ago or so I may have seen the butt end of 1 cutting threw some oak trees but I never counted that because of uncertainty. Really a insane animal.

Thinning the pack one dog at a time! Strong work Johnny!

We're bouncing around I'm new at this. I got a lot if spots so we will see what we can kill.

Here are the details of today's lion encounter. Johnny and I started off the morning at sunrise and called in the coyote in the picture on the second stand of the day. We continued to call until midday and stopped to make one more stand on the way out of the area. The area we were hunting is probably well known by most of the people on this forum and it gets quite a bit of pressure during deer and turkey season. We decided to make the stand and setup the Foxpro over looking a well used footpath/gametrail that bordered some private property whose boundary was marked by a barbed wire fence. We sat under a giant oak tree and faced in a direction so that we could see the entire length of the fence. I fired up the Foxpro and played baby pig in distress intermittently for about three minutes. I then switched the sound to lil piggy and played that intermittently for about six and a half minutes. At around the nine and a half minute mark I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. It was a large object coming from behind me on my right side and it was moving at a brisk pace. It stopped directly to the right side of me and stared at the decoy attached to my caller. At this point I realized I had just called in one of North America's greatest predators. I raised my AR-15 and pointed it at the lion. I then turned my head toward Johnny and said, "hey Johnny, lion". He told me to take a picture of the lion with my phone so I fiddled my hand around in my pocket trying to get to the phone with one eye on the gun and the big cat and the other on my hand and my phone. At this point Johnny raised his rifle and pointed it at the cat as well. It was this movement that caught the lions attention and it turned about ninety degrees and stared right at me. It immediately lowered it's posture, rolled it's ears back on it's head, and changed the expression on it's face from curious to menacing. At this point I decided to forget about the cell phone picture and give the lion my undivided attention. Oh and I clicked the safety off of my AR. :eek: We stared at each other for a few seconds and then I told the lion, "get out of here", and it was gone. I looked down at my phone and it read 12:30 PM. The entire encounter probably lasted twenty to twenty five seconds. We measured the distance between the cat and I at 11 yards with the range finder and johnny was sitting about 4 yards directly to my left. The real scary thing is that that cat came in completely silent and left just as quietly. I apologize that I don't have a picture to post but I made a mistake and was not prepared. I can also honestly say I was concerned for our safety but the experience was awesome and surreal at the same time.

Once in a lifetime! Great story

Josh - Awesome post...Felt like I was there with you. Scary stuff but amazing experience. Thanks!

Oh - and thanks for the phone call right after. You had me thinking about it for the remainder of the day.

Thanks for the story Josh.
I know you guys were pretty excited about the encounter and relieved at the same time. That had to be about the ultimate rush. Excitement, danger and relief just about as high as you can get.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu