Lots a fog/another lion

Such a crazy story! Little jealous of that one! If the cat were to charge at you and you took it down in self defense, would you still get fines from DFW? I've heard a lot of stories about people lying and getting hard core busted for killing them, but what about in true self defense? One of my yote spots we've just found some fat lion prints so I'd like to know how I should prepare myself.

Yeah.. there in-lies the predicament. Gotta let it get close enough to have GSR blast all over it I'm assuming. Just don't know if you would still receive a fine from DFW for killing a protected species. Thought I heard of this in the past.

8SteelTown said:
Such a crazy story! Little jealous of that one! If the cat were to charge at you and you took it down in self defense, would you still get fines from DFW? I've heard a lot of stories about people lying and getting hard core busted for killing them, but what about in self defense? One of my yote spots we've just found some fat lion prints so I'd like to know how I should prepare myself.
We were talking about that we were hunting a privite propery boarder the lion came up on the privite side. Honestly I'm no poacher and do my best not to break the rules. I'm not sure I would have handled it as well as josh did. That cat got very not nice looking once she found out we tricked her. I'm proud of josh for not squeezing the trigger not sure I would have done the same. (Way to close for comfort )

I know of one instance of a hunter shooting a lion in self defense and not being fined. IT was in the C4 zone.

There was a guy who shot a Lion up in the Lagunas, I think it was last year, with a bow and got fined because DFW didn't believe his story. Sucks for the guy cause there is no reason a guy would tell DFW he shot a lion if he killed it on purpose.

If it was me and I felt my life was in danger I would shoot it without thinking twice. Ill take a fine over being dead any day!

SDbirds and Josh.... What was going through your head at the time? Was there a moment where you thought; If the lion makes one more forward movement Im shooting?

SDbirds and Josh.... What was going through your head at the time? Was there a moment where you thought; If the lion makes one more forward movement Im shooting?

I've seen 2 in two weeks. Both times absolutely nothing went threw my head except holy crap I can't believe I'm seeing this. It's bizarre it's almost like they hypnotize me. Not scared not excited just in aww

I don't know what the best course of action would be. Some say "SSS" (shoot, shovel, shut up), but I'm not inclined to do that. My initial thoughts are:
1. You better make sure that it's a cut-and-dried case of self-defense before you shoot. If you shout at it, or throw stuff at it, and it doesn't leave, get ready to shoot. If it charges, fire away. Distances come into play here, though, and it's all going to come down to a judgment call. As one person wrote, if it doesn't run away when you yell at it, it thinks you're food!
2. If I were to shoot one in self-defense, I think I would call the DFG and tell them that I had shot a lion in self-defense, and respectfully decline to answer any other questions until I had consulted with legal counsel, at which point I would cooperate fully.

The DFG is not going to look at it objectively. They are going to over-zealously prosecute every single infraction they possibly can, whether it was real or not. They are not in the business of treating you fairly. Tie does not go to the hunter. That's why many people say "SSS". I say, treat it as if you had just shot a human in self-defense. Report the incident. Don't try to cover it up, don't lie, and don't talk to the police (or warden)- let your lawyer do that. If you think that being cooperative and just answering all their questions is going to make it go smoother, and will save you legal fees, and keep you from being prosecuted, think again.

Yeah, it's....unfortunate (I can think of stronger words)...that lions are given god-like status in this state, and that we would even have to think twice about defending ourselves against such a dangerous predator, and that hunters are now the bad guys.

Gnarly story. I hope that doesn't happen to me anytime soon. I think fined is better than dead. If I yelled and he didn't move I might try a warning shot. But maybe not. Once that thing is in attack mode it will be pretty hard to hit and stop; especially in close range. Think about that cloud of teeth and claws coming at you and you have less than a second or two (at 10 yards) to react, aim, and fire. I read a survival story in F&S where the guy did get a shot off, hit the lion in the chest, and it still tackled him. He won because he managed to hold onto his gun during the attack and get another shot into it's face.

That story last year, it was a bow hunter. He said he dropped it with one shot. When DFG came out they found a wound on the paw and accused him of poaching and trying to take the paw. He then said he had missed the first shot, hitting it in the foot. It defies logic that someone would poach, try to take a trophy, then chicken out and call DFG. I am inclined to believe the hunter. But if I recall he pleaded guilty and payed $500 fine in order to avoid the >$10,000 legal fees he was facing in fighting it.

msteiger said:
Gnarly story. I hope that doesn't happen to me anytime soon. I think fined is better than dead. If I yelled and he didn't move I might try a warning shot. But maybe not. Once that thing is in attack mode it will be pretty hard to hit and stop; especially in close range. Think about that cloud of teeth and claws coming at you and you have less than a second or two (at 10 yards) to react, aim, and fire. I read a survival story in F&S where the guy did get a shot off, hit the lion in the chest, and it still tackled him. He won because he managed to hold onto his gun during the attack and get another shot into it's face.

It was hair-raising at that close and I had another person in between me and the cat

Fortunately I had played this scenario out in my head many times before it actually happened to us yesterday. I had read several posts by members on the Predator Masters forum regarding calling in lions so I figured I should come up with a game plan in case it ever happened to me. I had made up my mind that I would not shoot one unless it was moving in my direction and I felt I was going to be attacked. The cat never did advance in my direction once it realized Johnny and I were there. It simply turned and faced me from the spot it was standing in and changed it's body language from curios to aggressive. With that being said I really felt like it was about to spring forward and attack and that is why I yelled at it and thank God it turned and left. It was so close I never looked through the scope I just looked down the side of the barrel. If it had moved in my direction I would have fired but at that distance I'm not even sure I would have been able to get the shot off before the cat was on me.

Damn bro save some for the rest of us to shoot..Lol im going out this weekend Hope i can be just as successful.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu