Loving Michigan!

SoCalRebelHunter

Sworn to hunt, Loyal to none
Jan 22, 2012
East El Cajon
Well, after almost a year in the great state of Michigan we're truly loving it out here. The area, the people, the wild life; it's all been great. Our little 12 acre spread is situated almost perfectly with corn and soybean fields to the south/southwest that border the property, a creek that runs the length of our western edge, and a wooded that starts 50 yards from the house and runs all the way to the creek. Of our 12 acres, about 6 is woods and it's in the perfect spot for our local deer to bed down. They'll feed in the corn and bean fields or under or apple trees, and then move into our woods for the night. Once the sun's up, they wander around our property and either move into the fields or back into the woods. The perfect mix of local food sources, water, and cover makes this little 12 acres a paradise.

Since we've moved in, we've seen deer. Pheasants, woodchucks and coons as well. But the deer are the ideal quarry. Since January, I've counted 4 different bucks on the property. Three of those are yearlings or two year-olds but there's one bruise 8-point that stops in every so often. I had to buy some trail cams for work as we had some equipment stolen so I bought a third for the ranch and after two days, the activity has been non-stop. I knew it would be, but I'm trying to pattern a little 6-point that I want to take out of the herd so the camera is providing his feeding and bedding times like I wanted. He's not a wall hanger by any means. But the fact that I can wake up, have some coffee and walk 50 yards to the "blind" and fill a tag on my own land is quite thrilling.

Michigan affords you the opportunity to bait/feed deer, so I've been doing my part to keep them all hanging around. Trophy rocks, corn, and apples have kept them interested so far. Below is a couple pictures from just yesterday evening and this morning. The buck I want to take is quite obvious, but the best news is that there's a fawn from this year in some of the pics who's already got horn-buds showing. So at least for now, it looks like the next couple years of hunting will provide a buck! Enjoy the pictures. Hope everyone's putting game down out there!

Attachments

• STC_0296.JPG
    STC_0296.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • STC_0019.JPG
    STC_0019.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • STC_0031.JPG
    STC_0031.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • STC_0048.JPG
    STC_0048.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • STC_0276.JPG
    STC_0276.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
That is all fantastic news. Keep us posted on all of your progress!

I would imagine the waterfowl hunting there is probably pretty good too! ;D

NBK said:
That is all fantastic news. Keep us posted on all of your progress!

I would imagine the waterfowl hunting there is probably pretty good too! ;D

Waterfowl is awesome! I only had a small taste of it last year as I was only able to go out twice but that's one of the perks of my job; I know all the farmers and they all have corn fields so late season goose should be a blast. Plus, there's a lake in every direction less than 6 miles away so ducks are going to get hit hard this year!

Heading out there in November for 10 days. My grandparents got 10 acres out there with the same set up. Bens and corn all around the property with 5 acres of woods in the middle

Hunting and Fishing is great in Michigan. Lots of fishing and hunting to do all year long. SoCalRebelHunter did you make it out ice fishing last winter?

Michigan is loaded with great deer the rut should change what your seeing on camera there now! I just moved two weeks ago and I'm going nuts deer season was my favorite part..good luck on your buck

Ajsnack said:
Hunting and Fishing is great in Michigan. Lots of fishing and hunting to do all year long. SoCalRebelHunter did you make it out ice fishing last winter?
No. Got here and started house hunting. Then found one and got busy. Maybe this winter though.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu