Making .257 Great Again

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
Hey fellas quick update on my 25x284. I am shooting the Blackjack 131g bullet with @330bc, the bullet is actually made by Sierra and sold from a company called Blackjack who provides reamers and fast twist .257 blanks. I am using a Hawk Hill 1-7.5 twist that was chambered by @NBK. I had only enough RL26 to load 25 rounds. I started slow and worked up in .5 grain increments. The first node I found was at 2930 FPS and it shot 1/2 MOA at 200. I certainly want to look for a faster node, and then I may play with seating depth. As of right now things are looking very promising. And to the 257 Weatherby guys, yes I know it’s a cool round but let’s be fair, the 25x285 with a 330bc is pretty sweet!3947539476

Last edited:
Looking good. What’s the barrel contour, optic, and total gun weight. Looks like It would be a fun rig for coues deer depending on the weight.

will be interesting to see if that bc holds up when you stretch it out a bit. that BC is equal to 140gr 6.5 hybrid burger.

looks like a great gun for the PRS match at camp pendleton https://practiscore.com/smgc-june-p...hBIJHoNXEVhqUH5aDKfQZraCWDXXbvgqHId-5iJ30SOBw

So wondering if the 6.5x284 is a barrel burner what makes them think the
25x284 will be better? one would think it would be worse?
Hybrid 140 has a .311bc I believe. And yes, all great rounds are barrel burners

Looking good. What’s the barrel contour, optic, and total gun weight. Looks like It would be a fun rig for coues deer depending on the weight.
Well my scale said 10.8 don’t know how accurate it may be. It’s a light bull profile, and it has a NXS

Reactions: TRICER
i should have said its better than the 140....

nice build... it could be a contender for the SCH cup next year

Reactions: TRICER
Its a cool rig and should give medium size game a fit!. I have a feeling it will shoot one hole when Chris gets it dialed in.

Nicely done Chris,
So it's interesting round.
So I don't know much about it.
How does it compare with the 6.5cm
And does it leave the 308 in the dust.. how about 243...

Nicely done Chris,
So it's interesting round.
So I don't know much about it.
How does it compare with the 6.5cm
And does it leave the 308 in the dust.. how about 243...

I’m a big fan of the 243! We killed 4 deer last year with a fast twist 243 Ackley. When compared to the creedmoor it has a higher BC, which will allow it to fly straighter and has probably 3-400 FPS more potential for velocity.

I have 2 in different configurations....they get alot of practice on large mammals...everything gets dead with a 120grain NP...good night nurse.

Reactions: TRICER and TheGDog
257 Weatherby is my next build for elk and smaller, Sporting weight rifle so I can walk around with it. It was Roy's favorite caliber and combined with old school Nosler partition's produced extreme wound's and one shot put down's.
The partitions are the factory load load right?

I have a custom 98 Mauser in 257 Robert's and a Commercial Mauser in 25/06.... both safe queens. Haven't shot either one in 20+ years. Fine caliber... Ed F

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu