meat question

MAG 1

Sep 1, 2016
I have a buddy that shot a nice forky late yesterday, and did not find it until 9:30 this morning.It was laid up under a tree not far from where he shot it in the shade. Question is the meat still good.

Reactions: Goyaałé
Take it apart and find out. I’m guessing the tenderloins are for sure bad. Stuff closer to the skin/farther from the gut cavity will have cooled sooner, but their hide and hair are very efficient at retaining heat...

There is a difference between meat souring and actually rotting. If it’s just got a little bit of an off taste you may be able to salvage it by making a heavily seasoned sausage with a lot of fat mixed in or something like that. Also brining the meat can draw some of that sourness out.

If it were me I’d try those things in an effort to not squander all that meat but I’d also have a high degree of suspicion. Take apart a hindquarter and go smell the meat away from the animal, your nose will tell you a lot of what you need to know. Obviously if you think it will make you sick or if you try it and it does make you sick you should toss it.

By no means would I consider myself a meat expert. I would think a trip to the butcher would not hurt.

I would trust that a good butcher would give you an honest opinion as to what meat is salvageable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The tenderloins and the hams around the ball joint would probably be the first to go bad, I'd check that and maybe cut off a piece and cook it to see if it tastes off. A smell test should make it clear. Brining sour (not rotten) meat may be a way to go too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goyaałé and MAG 1
Ok great. Gut it or bone it out as soon as possible. Like everyone else said let your nose be the guide. I personally like to cut throat and and gut it first.
Kosher way to bleed out.

Once it starts to bloat there is gas from bacteria. Disclaimer.
I not a pro or biologist.

But it's gets iffy after that.
For it is starting to decay from
Bacteria. Has it spread to the rest
Of the meat. Unknown.
You take your chances.

Reactions: Goyaałé

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu